Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 5668 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »

Thursday, January 9

The holy ones in the earth, the majestic ones, bring me great delight.​—Ps. 16:3.

The psalmist David did not limit his circle of friends to just his peers. Can you recall the name of a “majestic” one who became his dear friend? His name was Jonathan. In fact, their friendship was one of the most beautiful recorded in the Scriptures. Did you know, however, that Jonathan was about 30 years older than David? What, then, was the basis for their friendship? Faith in God, mutual respect, and seeing each other’s courage as they fought God’s enemies. (1 Sam. 13:3; 14:13; 17:48-50; 18:1) Like David and Jonathan, we too find “great delight” in loving those who love Jehovah and who show their faith in him. Kiera, who has served God for years, says, “I’ve made friends with people from around the world, people of many different backgrounds and cultures.” When you broaden out in this way, you will see clear evidence of the uniting power of God’s Word and spirit.

Psalm 16:3

And the holy ones in the earth,

The majestic ones, bring me great delight.”+

1 Samuel 13:3

Then Jon'a·than struck down the garrison of the Phi·lis'tines+ that was in Ge'ba,+ and the Phi·lis'tines heard about it. And Saul had the horn blown+ throughout all the land, saying: “Let the Hebrews hear!”

1 Samuel 14:13

And Jon'a·than climbed up on his hands and feet, and his armor-bearer was behind him; and the Phi·lis'tines began to fall before Jon'a·than, and his armor-bearer was putting them to death behind him.

1 Samuel 17:48-50

Then the Phi·lis'tine rose and drew steadily closer to meet David, but David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Phi·lis'tine. 49 David thrust his hand into his bag and took a stone from there and slung it. He struck the Phi·lis'tine in the forehead, and the stone sank into his forehead and he fell facedown on the ground.+ 50 So David prevailed over the Phi·lis'tine with a sling and a stone; he struck down the Phi·lis'tine and put him to death, though there was no sword in David’s hand.+

1 Samuel 18:1

As soon as David had finished speaking to Saul, Jon'a·than+ and David became bound together in close friendship,* and Jon'a·than began to love him as himself.*+
thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »

Friday, January 10

Whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.​—Matt. 19:9.

The expression “sexual immorality” covers a range of sexual sins outside of marriage: adultery, prostitution, sex relations between unmarried individuals, homosexuality, and bestiality. If, for example, a married man engages in sexual immorality, his wife can decide whether to divorce him or not. Significantly, Jesus did not say that a mate’s immorality (por·neiʹa) must absolutely lead to divorce. For example, a wife might choose to maintain the marriage despite her husband’s having been immoral. She might still love him; she might be willing to forgive him and work with him to improve their marriage. Realistically, if she got a divorce but did not remarry, she would face challenges. What of her material and sexual needs? What about loneliness? Are there children to consider? (1 Cor. 7:14) Clearly, the divorced innocent one would face serious issues.

Matthew 19:9

I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+

1 Corinthians 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2020, 04:29:24 AM »

Thursday, January 16

We are God’s fellow workers.​—1 Cor. 3:9.

When witnessing, we should always be considerate and respectful, which includes getting to know the local people well. Remember that when we go from door to door, we are uninvited guests. How important, then, that we call at a time when people might be more inclined to converse! (Matt. 7:12) For example, do people in your territory like to sleep longer on weekends? If so, you may be able to start your ministry by doing street work, public witnessing, or return visits on people you know will be up and about. Many people are very busy, so it may be appropriate to keep your visits brief, at least initially. (1 Cor. 9:20-23) When people see that we are aware of their circumstances or busy schedules, they may be more willing to have us call back. Clearly, the fruitage of God’s spirit should be reflected in our ministry. When it is, we truly become “God’s fellow workers”​—even a means by which Jehovah may draw someone to the truth.​—1 Cor. 3:6, 7.

1 Corinthians 3:9

For we are God’s fellow workers.+ You are God’s field under cultivation, God’s building.+

Matthew 7:12

“All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.+ This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.+

1 Corinthians 9:20-23

To the Jews I became as a Jew in order to gain Jews;+ to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not under law, in order to gain those under law.+ 21 To those without law I became as without law,+ although I am not without law toward God but under law toward Christ,+ in order to gain those without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, in order to gain the weak.+ I have become all things to people of all sorts, so that I might by all possible means save some. 23 But I do all things for the sake of the good news, in order to share it with others.+

1 Corinthians 3:6, 7

I planted,+ A·pol'los watered,+ but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »

Friday, January 17

Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.​—Matt. 5:5.

How can being mild-tempered contribute to happiness? After coming to an accurate knowledge of the truth, individuals change. At one time, they may have been harsh, quarrelsome, and aggressive. But now they have clothed themselves with “the new personality” and display “the tender affections of compassion, kindness, humility, mildness, and patience.” (Col. 3:9-12) As a result, they now enjoy a peaceful, loving, and happier life. Furthermore, God’s Word promises that such ones will “inherit the earth.” (Ps. 37:8-10, 29) In what sense do the mild-tempered “inherit the earth”? Jesus’ spirit-anointed disciples inherit the earth when they rule over it as kings and priests. (Rev. 20:6) Millions of others who do not have the heavenly calling, however, will inherit the earth in the sense that they will be allowed to live here forever in perfection, peace, and happiness.

Matthew 5:5

“Happy are the mild-tempered,+ since they will inherit the earth.+

Colossians 3:9-12

Do not lie to one another.+ Strip off the old personality*+ with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality,+ which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,+ 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, foreigner, Scyth'i·an,* slave, or freeman; but Christ is all things and in all.+

12 Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones,+ holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion,+ kindness, humility,*+ mildness,+ and patience.+

Psalm 37:8-10

Let go of anger and abandon rage;+

Do not become upset and turn to doing evil.*

9 For evil men will be done away with,+

But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth.+

10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;+

You will look at where they were,

And they will not be there.+

Psalm 37:29

The righteous will possess the earth,+

And they will live forever on it.+

Revelation 20:6

Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection;+ over these the second death+ has no authority,+ but they will be priests+ of God and of the Christ, and they will rule as kings with him for the 1,000 years.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »

Sunday, January 19

The generous person will prosper, and whoever refreshes others will himself be refreshed.?—Prov. 11:25.

It can be a challenge to maintain a generous spirit when we are surrounded by people who put their own interests ahead of those of others. However, Jesus stated that the two greatest commandments are to love Jehovah with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves. (Mark 12:28-31) Those who love Jehovah imitate him. Jehovah gives to others, and so does Jesus. And they recommend that we do the same, for it will make us truly happy. If we strive to manifest this generous spirit in our dealings with both God and neighbor, we will bring honor to Jehovah and benefit ourselves and others. No doubt you are already striving to give of yourself to help others, especially fellow believers. (Gal. 6:10) If you continue to do so, you will surely be loved and appreciated, and you will be happy as a result.

Proverbs 11:25

The generous person* will prosper,*+

And whoever refreshes* others will himself be refreshed.+

Mark 12:28-31

One of the scribes who had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first* of all?”+ 29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’+ 31 The second is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’+ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Galatians 6:10

So, then, as long as we have the opportunity,* let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »

Wednesday, January 29
Where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom.?—2 Cor. 3:17.

People of the Roman world, among whom the early Christians lived, prided themselves on being champions of law, justice, and freedom. Yet, much of the power and glory of the Roman Empire was built on the backs of slaves. At one point, some 30 percent of the population were slaves. Undoubtedly, slavery and freedom were topics on the minds of the common people, including Christians. The letters of the apostle Paul have much to say about freedom. However, the objective of his ministry was not social or political reform, the very thing people of that day were seeking. Rather than looking to any human ruler or agency for freedom, Paul and his fellow Christians worked hard to help others learn the good news of God’s Kingdom and the incomparable value of the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. Paul directed his fellow believers to the Source of true freedom.

2 Corinthians 3:17
Now Jehovah is the Spirit,+ and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »

Tuesday, February 11
I will exult in Jehovah.?—Hab. 3:18.

Some scholars think that this verse literally means “I will jump for joy in the Lord; I will spin round for delight in God.” What a powerful assurance for all of us! Not only has Jehovah given us wonderful promises but he has assured us that he is swiftly working out his great purpose. No doubt, the vital message of Habakkuk is to trust in Jehovah. (Hab. 2:4) We can acquire and maintain such trust if we strengthen our relationship with Jehovah by (1) persevering in prayer, telling Jehovah all about our anxieties and concerns; (2) paying careful attention to Jehovah’s Word and any direction we receive through his organization; and (3) faithfully and patiently waiting on Jehovah. That is what Habakkuk did. Though he began his book with grief, he ended with a confident and joyful exclamation. May we follow this inspiring example so that we too can feel Jehovah’s fatherly embrace! What greater comfort could we find in this darkening world?

Habakkuk 3:18
Yet, as for me, I will exult in Jehovah;

I will be joyful in the God of my salvation.+

Habakkuk 2:4
Look at the one who is proud;*

He is not upright within himself.

But the righteous one will live by his faithfulness.*+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2020, 08:08:34 AM »

Wednesday, February 12

[Christ] died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for him who died for them and was raised up.​—2 Cor. 5:15.

True Christians also have this reason to be drawn to God’s love: He “loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) What love Jesus also showed in giving his life for us! And what a powerful motivation that love is for us! God’s Word promises that not even “tribulation or distress” can “separate us from the love of the Christ.” (Rom. 8:35, 38, 39) When we grapple with trials that are physically, emotionally, or spiritually draining, the compelling force of Christ’s love can give us the strength to endure. (2 Cor. 5:14) Jesus’ love has the power to sustain us and to motivate us not to give up, even in the face of such trials as disasters, persecution, personal disappointments, or gnawing anxiety.

2 Corinthians 5:15
And he died for all so that those who live should live no longer for themselves,+ but for him who died for them and was raised up.

John 3:16
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son,+ so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.+

Romans 8:35
Who will separate us from the love of the Christ?+ Will tribulation or distress or persecution or hunger or nakedness or danger or sword?+

Romans 8:38, 39
For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come nor powers+ 39 nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love the Christ has compels us,+ because this is what we have concluded, that one man died for all;+ so, then, all had died.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2020, 08:36:35 AM »

Thursday, February 13

I will walk in your truth.​—Ps. 86:11.

To walk in the truth, we must accept and obey all of Jehovah’s sayings. We must give the truth priority in our lives and live according to Bible principles. Like David, we must be firmly resolved to keep walking in God’s truth. If we are not, we could have second thoughts about what we paid for the truth and perhaps be tempted to begin taking back part of the payment. Rather, we carefully hold on to the complete truth. We recognize that we cannot pick which truths to accept and which to ignore. After all, we must walk in “all the truth.” (John 16:13) To avoid drifting away from the truth, we must make wise use of our time. If we are not careful, we might start to spend excessive amounts of time on recreation, hobbies, browsing the Internet, or watching television. Although these things are not wrong in themselves, the time we spend on them can begin to encroach on time previously spent in personal study and other spiritual activities.

Psalm 86:11
Instruct me, O Jehovah, about your way.+

I will walk in your truth.+

Unify my heart* to fear your name.+

John 16:13
However, when that one comes, the spirit of the truth,+ he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »

Friday, February 14

I have calmed and quieted my soul.?—Ps. 131:2.

When our life takes an unexpected turn, the changes that we have to face may cause us apprehension and emotional stress. (Prov. 12:25) We may even find it hard to accept those changes. In such circumstances, how can we ‘calm and quiet’ our soul? (Ps. 131:1-3) Despite adverse circumstances, we today can experience firsthand the soothing effect of “the peace of God” that guards our mental powers. (Phil. 4:6, 7) Thus, if we turn to Jehovah when we feel overwhelmed by anxiety, God’s peace can strengthen our determination to reach spiritual goals and guard us against any tendency to give up. In addition to calming us down, God’s spirit can draw our attention to key scriptures that will help us to keep our spiritual priorities.?—John 14:26, 27.

Psalm 131:2
No, but I have calmed and quieted my soul*+

Like a weaned child with its mother;

I am* contented like a weaned child.

Proverbs 12:25
Anxiety in a man�s heart weighs it down,*+

But a good word cheers it up.+

Psalm 131:1-3
O Jehovah, my heart is not haughty,

Nor are my eyes lofty;+

Nor do I aspire to things too great,+

Or to things that are beyond me.

2 No, but I have calmed and quieted my soul*+

Like a weaned child with its mother;

I am* contented like a weaned child.

3 Let Israel wait for Jehovah+

From now on and forever.

Philippians 4:6, 7
Do not be anxious over anything,+ but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God;+ 7 and the peace+ of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts+ and your mental powers* by means of Christ Jesus.

John 14:26, 27
But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you.+ 27 I leave you peace; I give you my peace.+ I do not give it to you the way that the world gives it. Do not let your hearts be troubled nor let them shrink out of fear.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »

Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God.​—Matt. 5:8.

To keep our hearts pure, we must be clean on the inside and nurture chaste affections and desires. We need to keep our thoughts clean so as to be spiritually untainted in our devotion to Jehovah. (2 Cor. 4:2; 1 Tim. 1:5) How, though, do the pure in heart “see God” when, in fact, “no man can see [God] and live”? (Ex. 33:20) The Greek word rendered “see” can carry the sense of “to see with the mind, to perceive, know.” Those who see God with ‘the eyes of the heart’ are those who have really come to know him, appreciating his qualities. (Eph. 1:18) In addition to getting to know God’s qualities, true worshippers can “see God” by observing the way he acts in their behalf. (Job 42:5) They also focus ‘their eyes of the heart’ on the wonderful blessings that God holds out for those who strive to remain pure and to serve him loyally.

Matthew 5:8
�Happy are the pure in heart,+ since they will see God.+

2 Corinthians 4:2
But we have renounced the shameful, underhanded things, not walking with cunning or adulterating the word of God;+ but by making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God.+

1 Timothy 1:5
Really, the objective of this instruction* is love+ out of a clean heart and out of a good conscience and out of faith+ without hypocrisy.

Exodus 33:20
But he added: �You cannot see my face, for no man can see me and live.�

Ephesians 1:18
He has enlightened the eyes of your heart, so that you may know to what hope he called you, what glorious riches he holds as an inheritance for the holy ones,+

Job 42:5
My ears have heard about you,

But now I do see you with my eyes.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »

Monday, February 17

Wisdom is the most important thing, so acquire wisdom.​—Prov. 4:7.

Doing what we know to be right brings rich blessings. Although wisdom is based on knowledge, it particularly has to do with the decisions we make rather than just the facts we understand. Even ants reveal wisdom. Ants demonstrate instinctive wisdom by preparing their food in the summer. (Prov. 30:24, 25) Christ, “the wisdom of God,” always does the things pleasing to the Father. (1 Cor. 1:24; John 8:29) God knows the difference between making the right choice and acting on that choice. And he rewards those who demonstrate humility with endurance and who practice what they know to be true. (Matt. 7:21-23) Therefore, work to preserve the spiritual environment in which genuine humility can flourish. Applying what we know to be true takes time and requires patience, but it is a mark of humility that leads to happiness now and forever.

Proverbs 4:7
Wisdom is the most important* thing,+ so acquire wisdom,

And with all you acquire, acquire understanding.+

Proverbs 30:24, 25
Four things on earth are among the smallest,

But they are instinctively wise:*+

25 The ants are not strong creatures,*

Yet they prepare their food in the summer.+

1 Corinthians 1:24
However, to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.+

John 8:29
And the One who sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.�+

Matthew 7:21-23n)
�Not everyone saying to me, �Lord, Lord,� will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.+ 22 Many will say to me in that day: �Lord, Lord,+ did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works* in your name?�+ 23 And then I will declare to them: �I never knew* you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!�+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »

Tuesday, February 18

Let each one examine his own actions, . . . and not in comparison with the other person.?—Gal. 6:4.

The Creator envisioned that perfect humans would cooperate with him to accomplish his purposes. Despite mankind’s current imperfect state, faithful people can still work with Jehovah each day. For example, we become “God’s fellow workers” by preaching the good news of his Kingdom and making disciples. (1 Cor. 3:5-9) Just think what a privilege we have to be counted worthy of cooperating with the almighty Creator of the universe in a work that he considers important! Yet, preaching and making disciples are not the only ways that we work with Jehovah. Other ways we can do so are by assisting our family and fellow worshippers, by being hospitable, by volunteering for theocratic projects, and by expanding our sacred service. (Col. 3:23) However, do not compare what you can do for Jehovah with what others can do. Remember that age, health, circumstances, and abilities vary from one person to another.

Galatians 6:4
But let each one examine his own actions,+ and then he will have cause for rejoicing in regard to himself alone, and not in comparison with the other person.+

1 Corinthians 3:5-9
What, then, is A�pol'los? Yes, what is Paul? Ministers+ through whom you became believers, just as the Lord granted each one. 6 I planted,+ A�pol'los watered,+ but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow.+ 8 Now the one who plants and the one who waters are one, but each person will receive his own reward according to his own work.+ 9 For we are God�s fellow workers.+ You are God�s field under cultivation, God�s building.+

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you are doing, work at it whole-souled* as for Jehovah,*+ and not for men,

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »

Wednesday, February 19

Keep in expectation of it! For it will without fail come true.​—Hab. 2:3.

Jehovah assured Habakkuk that he would receive answers to his sincere questions. Relief for all his worries would come before too long. God, in effect, told the prophet: “Be patient, trust in me. My answer will come despite the apparent delay!” Jehovah reminded him that He had an appointed time for fulfilling His promises. He counseled Habakkuk to wait for the accomplishment of His purposes. Ultimately, the prophet would not be disappointed. Patiently waiting on Jehovah and paying close attention to what he tells us will give us confidence and will help us to acquire a calm heart despite adversities and hardships. Jesus confirmed that we can trust in Jehovah as the Great Timekeeper, not focusing on “times or seasons” that God has not yet revealed. (Acts 1:7) Therefore, may we not give up but wait in humility, faith, and patience, making good use of the time we have to serve Jehovah to the best of our abilities.​—Mark 13:35-37; Gal. 6:9.

Habakkuk 2:3
For the vision is yet for its appointed time,

And it is rushing toward its end,* and it will not lie.

Even if it should delay,* keep in expectation of it!*+

For it will without fail come true.

It will not be late!

Acts 1:7
He said to them: �It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction

Mark 13:35-37
Keep on the watch, therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming,+ whether late in the day or at midnight or before dawn or early in the morning,+ 36 in order that when he comes suddenly, he does not find you sleeping.+ 37 But what I say to you, I say to all: Keep on the watch.�+

Galatians 6:9
So let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due time we will reap if we do not tire out.*+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »

Thursday, February 20

God has shown me that I should call no man defiled or unclean.​—Acts 10:28.

Like other Jews of his time, Peter grew up believing that Gentiles were unclean. Yet, Peter had experienced events that caused him to reevaluate that position. For example, Peter had a miraculous vision. (Acts 10:9-16) Like Peter, we must examine ourselves carefully and be willing to receive help so that we can identify any remaining traces of prejudice in our hearts. What else can we do? If we open our heart wide, we will allow love to replace prejudice. (2 Cor. 6:11-13) Are you in the habit of having close association only with those of your own race, ethnicity, nationality, tribe, or language group? If so, widen out. Why not invite those of a different background to work with you in the field ministry or invite them to your home for a meal or a gathering? (Acts 16:14, 15) If you do so, you will fill your heart with so much love that there will be no room for prejudice.

Acts 10:28
He said to them: �You well know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or approach a man of another race,+ and yet God has shown me that I should call no man defiled or unclean.+

Acts 10:9-16
The next day as they were continuing on their journey and were approaching the city, Peter went up to the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10 But he became very hungry and wanted to eat. While they were preparing the meal, he fell into a trance+ 11 and saw heaven opened and something* descending like a great linen sheet being let down by its four corners on the earth; 12 and in it were all sorts of four-footed animals and reptiles* of the earth and birds of heaven. 13 Then a voice said to him: �Get up, Peter, slaughter* and eat!� 14 But Peter said: �Not at all, Lord, because I have never eaten anything defiled and unclean.�+ 15 And the voice spoke again to him, the second time: �Stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed.� 16 This happened a third time, and immediately it* was taken up into heaven.

2 Corinthians 6:11-13
We have opened our mouth to speak to you, Corinthians, and we have opened wide our heart. 12 We are not restricted in our affections for you,+ but you are restricted in your own tender affections for us. 13 So in response�I speak as to my children�you too open your hearts wide.+

Acts 16:14, 15
And a woman named Lyd'i�a, a seller of purple from the city of Thy�a�ti'ra+ and a worshipper of God, was listening, and Jehovah opened her heart wide to pay attention to the things Paul was saying.+ 15 Now when she and her household got baptized,+ she urged us: �If you have considered me to be faithful to Jehovah, come and stay at my house.� And she just made us come.