Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 4457 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »

Thursday, January 9

The holy ones in the earth, the majestic ones, bring me great delight.​—Ps. 16:3.

The psalmist David did not limit his circle of friends to just his peers. Can you recall the name of a “majestic” one who became his dear friend? His name was Jonathan. In fact, their friendship was one of the most beautiful recorded in the Scriptures. Did you know, however, that Jonathan was about 30 years older than David? What, then, was the basis for their friendship? Faith in God, mutual respect, and seeing each other’s courage as they fought God’s enemies. (1 Sam. 13:3; 14:13; 17:48-50; 18:1) Like David and Jonathan, we too find “great delight” in loving those who love Jehovah and who show their faith in him. Kiera, who has served God for years, says, “I’ve made friends with people from around the world, people of many different backgrounds and cultures.” When you broaden out in this way, you will see clear evidence of the uniting power of God’s Word and spirit.

Psalm 16:3

And the holy ones in the earth,

The majestic ones, bring me great delight.”+

1 Samuel 13:3

Then Jon'a·than struck down the garrison of the Phi·lis'tines+ that was in Ge'ba,+ and the Phi·lis'tines heard about it. And Saul had the horn blown+ throughout all the land, saying: “Let the Hebrews hear!”

1 Samuel 14:13

And Jon'a·than climbed up on his hands and feet, and his armor-bearer was behind him; and the Phi·lis'tines began to fall before Jon'a·than, and his armor-bearer was putting them to death behind him.

1 Samuel 17:48-50

Then the Phi·lis'tine rose and drew steadily closer to meet David, but David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Phi·lis'tine. 49 David thrust his hand into his bag and took a stone from there and slung it. He struck the Phi·lis'tine in the forehead, and the stone sank into his forehead and he fell facedown on the ground.+ 50 So David prevailed over the Phi·lis'tine with a sling and a stone; he struck down the Phi·lis'tine and put him to death, though there was no sword in David’s hand.+

1 Samuel 18:1

As soon as David had finished speaking to Saul, Jon'a·than+ and David became bound together in close friendship,* and Jon'a·than began to love him as himself.*+
thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »

Friday, January 10

Whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.​—Matt. 19:9.

The expression “sexual immorality” covers a range of sexual sins outside of marriage: adultery, prostitution, sex relations between unmarried individuals, homosexuality, and bestiality. If, for example, a married man engages in sexual immorality, his wife can decide whether to divorce him or not. Significantly, Jesus did not say that a mate’s immorality (por·neiʹa) must absolutely lead to divorce. For example, a wife might choose to maintain the marriage despite her husband’s having been immoral. She might still love him; she might be willing to forgive him and work with him to improve their marriage. Realistically, if she got a divorce but did not remarry, she would face challenges. What of her material and sexual needs? What about loneliness? Are there children to consider? (1 Cor. 7:14) Clearly, the divorced innocent one would face serious issues.

Matthew 19:9

I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+

1 Corinthians 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2020, 04:29:24 AM »

Thursday, January 16

We are God’s fellow workers.​—1 Cor. 3:9.

When witnessing, we should always be considerate and respectful, which includes getting to know the local people well. Remember that when we go from door to door, we are uninvited guests. How important, then, that we call at a time when people might be more inclined to converse! (Matt. 7:12) For example, do people in your territory like to sleep longer on weekends? If so, you may be able to start your ministry by doing street work, public witnessing, or return visits on people you know will be up and about. Many people are very busy, so it may be appropriate to keep your visits brief, at least initially. (1 Cor. 9:20-23) When people see that we are aware of their circumstances or busy schedules, they may be more willing to have us call back. Clearly, the fruitage of God’s spirit should be reflected in our ministry. When it is, we truly become “God’s fellow workers”​—even a means by which Jehovah may draw someone to the truth.​—1 Cor. 3:6, 7.

1 Corinthians 3:9

For we are God’s fellow workers.+ You are God’s field under cultivation, God’s building.+

Matthew 7:12

“All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.+ This, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.+

1 Corinthians 9:20-23

To the Jews I became as a Jew in order to gain Jews;+ to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not under law, in order to gain those under law.+ 21 To those without law I became as without law,+ although I am not without law toward God but under law toward Christ,+ in order to gain those without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, in order to gain the weak.+ I have become all things to people of all sorts, so that I might by all possible means save some. 23 But I do all things for the sake of the good news, in order to share it with others.+

1 Corinthians 3:6, 7

I planted,+ A·pol'los watered,+ but God kept making it grow, 7 so that neither is the one who plants anything nor is the one who waters, but God who makes it grow.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »

Friday, January 17

Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.​—Matt. 5:5.

How can being mild-tempered contribute to happiness? After coming to an accurate knowledge of the truth, individuals change. At one time, they may have been harsh, quarrelsome, and aggressive. But now they have clothed themselves with “the new personality” and display “the tender affections of compassion, kindness, humility, mildness, and patience.” (Col. 3:9-12) As a result, they now enjoy a peaceful, loving, and happier life. Furthermore, God’s Word promises that such ones will “inherit the earth.” (Ps. 37:8-10, 29) In what sense do the mild-tempered “inherit the earth”? Jesus’ spirit-anointed disciples inherit the earth when they rule over it as kings and priests. (Rev. 20:6) Millions of others who do not have the heavenly calling, however, will inherit the earth in the sense that they will be allowed to live here forever in perfection, peace, and happiness.

Matthew 5:5

“Happy are the mild-tempered,+ since they will inherit the earth.+

Colossians 3:9-12

Do not lie to one another.+ Strip off the old personality*+ with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new personality,+ which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,+ 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, foreigner, Scyth'i·an,* slave, or freeman; but Christ is all things and in all.+

12 Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones,+ holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion,+ kindness, humility,*+ mildness,+ and patience.+

Psalm 37:8-10

Let go of anger and abandon rage;+

Do not become upset and turn to doing evil.*

9 For evil men will be done away with,+

But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth.+

10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;+

You will look at where they were,

And they will not be there.+

Psalm 37:29

The righteous will possess the earth,+

And they will live forever on it.+

Revelation 20:6

Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection;+ over these the second death+ has no authority,+ but they will be priests+ of God and of the Christ, and they will rule as kings with him for the 1,000 years.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2020, 07:51:39 AM »

Sunday, January 19

The generous person will prosper, and whoever refreshes others will himself be refreshed.?—Prov. 11:25.

It can be a challenge to maintain a generous spirit when we are surrounded by people who put their own interests ahead of those of others. However, Jesus stated that the two greatest commandments are to love Jehovah with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves. (Mark 12:28-31) Those who love Jehovah imitate him. Jehovah gives to others, and so does Jesus. And they recommend that we do the same, for it will make us truly happy. If we strive to manifest this generous spirit in our dealings with both God and neighbor, we will bring honor to Jehovah and benefit ourselves and others. No doubt you are already striving to give of yourself to help others, especially fellow believers. (Gal. 6:10) If you continue to do so, you will surely be loved and appreciated, and you will be happy as a result.

Proverbs 11:25

The generous person* will prosper,*+

And whoever refreshes* others will himself be refreshed.+

Mark 12:28-31

One of the scribes who had come up and heard them disputing, knowing that he had answered them in a fine way, asked him: “Which commandment is first* of all?”+ 29 Jesus answered: “The first is, ‘Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah, 30 and you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.’+ 31 The second is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’+ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Galatians 6:10

So, then, as long as we have the opportunity,* let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.