Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 1600 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »

Monday, September 23

A true friend shows love at all times, and is a brother who is born for times of distress.​—Prov. 17:17.

The grieving process can vary greatly from person to person. Therefore, make yourself available, not just for the first few days when many friends and relatives are present, but in subsequent months when others have returned to their normal routine. Fellow Christians can be a source of profound comfort for someone for as long as it takes him or her to deal with grief. (1 Thess. 3:7) Remember that bereaved ones may experience pangs of grief triggered by anniversaries, certain music, photographs, activities, or even a specific smell, sound, or season of the year. Many things a bereaved marriage mate does alone for the first time​—such as attending an assembly or the Memorial—​can be particularly painful. Bear in mind, though, that bereaved ones need encouragement not only on special occasions.

Proverbs 17:17

A true friend shows love at all times+

And is a brother who is born for times of distress.+

1 Thessalonians 3:7

That is why, brothers, in all our distress* and tribulation, we have been comforted because of you and the faithfulness you demonstrate.+

thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2019, 05:50:58 AM »

Tuesday, September 24

Look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others.​—Phil. 2:4.

Interestingly, when we show loving personal interest in others, we may actually let go of some of our own negative feelings. Sisters, married or unmarried, know for a fact that they find great joy in sharing the good news as fellow workers with God. Their goal is to honor God by doing his will. Some even view their participation in the ministry as therapy. Certainly, all of us contribute to a close bond in the congregation when we show concern for others, those in our territory and those in the congregation. The apostle Paul was a fine example. He became like “a nursing mother” to those in the Thessalonian congregation; he was also like a spiritual father. (1 Thess. 2:7, 11, 12) Young ones who learn to love the true God and to follow his counsel can become a source of comfort in a family. They can do so by showing respect for their parents and by helping in material ways. They can also make a valuable spiritual contribution.

Philippians 2:4

as you look out not only for your own interests,+ but also for the interests of others.+

1 Thessalonians 2:7

On the contrary, we became gentle in your midst, as when a nursing mother tenderly cares for* her own children.

1 Thessalonians 2:11, 12

You well know that we kept exhorting and consoling you and bearing witness to each one of you,+ just as a father+ does his children, 12 so that you would go on walking worthily of God,+ who is calling you to his Kingdom+ and glory.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »

Friday, September 27

Use speech that is easily understood.​—1 Cor. 14:9.

When “foreign residents” live far from other Witnesses who speak their language, they need to associate with a local-language congregation. (Ps. 146:9) But if there is a congregation nearby that uses your mother tongue, the question arises: Which language congregation is best for your family? After careful thought and prayer and consultation with his mate and children, a family head must decide. (1 Cor. 11:3) Parents must evaluate their children’s needs realistically. Of course​—regardless of language—​to gain a firm grasp of the truth, a child needs much more than just a few hours of spiritual education each week at meetings. But consider this: At meetings conducted in the language they understand best, children may absorb instruction simply by being present, perhaps learning more than their parents realize. That may not be the case when children do not fully understand the language.​—1 Cor. 14:11.

1 Corinthians 14:9

In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.

Psalm 146:9

Jehovah is protecting the foreign residents;

He sustains the fatherless child and the widow,+

But he thwarts the plans of the wicked.*+

1 Corinthians 11:3

But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ;+ in turn, the head of a woman is the man;+ in turn, the head of the Christ is God.+

1 Corinthians 14:11

For if I do not understand the sense of the speech, I will be a foreigner to the one speaking, and the one speaking will be a foreigner to me.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »

Saturday, September 28

Because of the people’s volunteering, praise Jehovah!​—Judg. 5:2.

Each of us does well to ask himself: ‘Do I have the faith and courage to use whatever is at my disposal to carry out the clear command of Jehovah? If I am contemplating a major move to another city or country for perceived economic advantages, do I give prayerful consideration to the effect this would have on my family and on the congregation?’ Jehovah dignifies us by allowing us to share in supporting his sovereignty. Since the Devil first enticed humans to support his rival sovereignty, your siding with Jehovah’s rulership sends Satan a message that is loud and clear. The faith and integrity that motivate your volunteer spirit are pleasing to Jehovah. (Prov. 23:15, 16) He uses your display of support to make a reply to the taunts of Satan. (Prov. 27:11) Thus, by your loyal obedience, you are, in effect, giving Jehovah something that he considers precious, and he finds profound joy in this.

Judges 5:2

“Because of the unbound hair* in Israel,

Because of the people’s volunteering,+

Praise Jehovah!

Proverbs 23:15, 16

My son, if your heart becomes wise,

Then my own heart will rejoice.+

16 My innermost being* will find joy

When your lips speak what is right.

Proverbs 27:11

Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice,+

So that I can make a reply to him who taunts me.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »

Monday, September 30

He does not slander with his tongue.​—Ps. 15:3.

When a Christian believes that he is the victim of injustice, he should be careful not to engage in harmful gossip. Of course, it is entirely proper to seek assistance from the elders and to inform them if a member of the congregation is guilty of a serious wrong. (Lev. 5:1) However, in many cases that do not involve serious wrongdoing, it may be possible to resolve a difference without involving anyone else, not even the elders. (Matt. 5:23, 24; 18:15) May we loyally handle such matters in line with Bible principles. In some cases, we may come to realize that we were not the victim of an injustice after all. How grateful we would be that we did not make a situation worse by slandering a fellow Christian! Remember, whether we are right or wrong, engaging in hurtful speech will never improve a situation. Loyalty to Jehovah and to our brothers will protect us from making such a mistake.

Psalm 15:3

He does not slander with his tongue,+

He does nothing bad to his neighbor,+

And he does not defame* his friends.+

Leviticus 5:1

“‘If someone* sins because he has heard a public call to testify*+ and he is a witness or has seen or learned about it and he does not report it, then he will answer for his error.

Matthew 5:23, 24

“If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar+ and there you remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away. First make your peace with your brother, and then come back and offer your gift.+

Matthew 18:15

“Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault* between you and him alone.+ If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »

Tuesday, October 1

If any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching.​—Jas. 1:5.

Jehovah is the Source of wisdom, and he generously shares his wisdom with others. One way that we acquire wisdom from God is by accepting his discipline. And that wisdom can safeguard us from moral and spiritual harm. (Prov. 2:10-12) As a result, we “keep [ourselves] in God’s love . . . with everlasting life in view.” (Jude 21) However, our sinful leanings, our upbringing, and other factors make it a challenge to accept discipline or to view it in the right light. We build appreciation for discipline when we experience its benefits, which confirm God’s love for us. “My son, do not reject the discipline of Jehovah, . . . for those whom Jehovah loves he reproves,” says Proverbs 3:11, 12. Yes, let us never forget that Jehovah has our best interests at heart. (Heb. 12:5-11) Because God fully knows us, his discipline is always appropriate and properly measured.

Proverbs 2:10-12

When wisdom enters your heart+

And knowledge becomes pleasant to your soul,*+

11 Thinking ability will keep watch over you,+

And discernment will safeguard you,

12 To save you from the bad course,

From the man speaking perverse things,+

Jude 21

in order to keep yourselves in God’s love,+ while you await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ with everlasting life in view.+

Proverbs 3:11, 12

My son, do not reject the discipline of Jehovah,+

And do not loathe his reproof,+

12 For those whom Jehovah loves he reproves,+

Just as a father does a son in whom he delights.+

Hebrews 12:5-11

And you have entirely forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not belittle the discipline from Jehovah,* nor give up when you are corrected by him; 6 for those whom Jehovah* loves he disciplines, in fact, he scourges* everyone whom he receives as a son.”+

7 You need to endure as part of your discipline.* God is treating you as sons.+ For what son is not disciplined by his father?+ 8 But if you have not all shared in receiving this discipline, you are really illegitimate children, and not sons. 9 Furthermore, our human fathers* used to discipline us, and we gave them respect. Should we not more readily submit ourselves to the Father of our spiritual life and live?+ 10 For they disciplined us for a short time according to what seemed good to them, but he does so for our benefit so that we may partake of his holiness.+ 11 True, no discipline seems for the present to be joyous, but it is painful;* yet afterward, it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2019, 07:05:23 AM »

Wednesday, October 2

Be hospitable to one another.​—1 Pet. 4:9.

The apostle Peter wrote the above to the culturally diverse congregations in Asia Minor. They were facing “fiery trials.” What could help Christians everywhere to get through those stressful times? (1 Pet. 1:1; 4:4, 7, 12) Note that Peter urged his Christian brothers and sisters to be hospitable “to one another,” to those whom they already knew and associated with. How would being hospitable help them? It would draw them together. Consider your own experience. Have you had the pleasure of being invited to someone’s home? Did that occasion not leave you with warm memories? When you entertained some from your congregation, was your friendship not deepened? By extending hospitality, we get to know our brothers and sisters in a more personal way than we can in other settings. Christians in Peter’s day needed to draw ever closer as conditions grew worse. The same is true for Christians in these “last days.”​—2 Tim. 3:1.

1 Peter 4:9

Be hospitable to one another without grumbling.+

1 Peter 1:1

Peter, an apostle+ of Jesus Christ, to the temporary residents scattered about in Pon'tus, Ga·la'ti·a, Cap·pa·do'ci·a,+ Asia, and Bi·thyn'i·a, to those chosen

1 Peter 4:4

They are puzzled that you do not continue running with them in the same decadent course of debauchery, so they speak abusively of you.+

1 Peter 4:7

But the end of all things has drawn close. Therefore, be sound in mind,+ and be vigilant* with a view to prayers.+

1 Peter 4:12

Beloved ones, do not be surprised about the fiery trials that you are experiencing,+ as though something strange were happening to you.

2 Timothy 3:1

But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »

Thursday, October 3

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.​—Matt. 5:3.

The Bible speaks highly of spiritually-minded people. Romans 8:6 shows the advantage of being spiritually-minded, saying: “Setting the mind on the flesh means death, but setting the mind on the spirit means life and peace.” By focusing on spiritual things, we gain peace with God and with ourselves now and the prospect of everlasting life in the future. However, we live in a dangerous environment. Since fleshly attitudes are all around us, we need to put forth real effort to develop spirituality and to guard it once we have it. If a person loses his spirituality, he creates a moral vacuum and the polluted “air” of this world will rush in. Jude spoke of those who would deteriorate even to the point of “not having spirituality.”​—Jude 18, 19.

Matthew 5:3

“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need,+ since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

Romans 8:6

For setting the mind on the flesh means death,+ but setting the mind on the spirit means life and peace;+

Jude 18, 19

how they used to say to you: “In the last time there will be ridiculers, following their own desires for ungodly things.”+ 19 These are the ones who cause divisions,+ animalistic men,* not having spirituality.*

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2019, 08:52:41 AM »

Friday, October 4

Wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.?—2 Tim. 3:13.

Many health-care professionals work among those infected with contagious diseases. They care for their patients because they want to help them. In doing so, however, they need to protect themselves so that they do not become infected with the disease they are seeking to treat. Likewise, many of us live and work with those who are infected with attitudes and characteristics that run counter to godly qualities. This presents a challenge for us. These last days are a time of moral chaos. The apostle Paul’s second letter to Timothy describes the characteristics of people who are alienated from God. (2 Tim. 3:1-5) Though we may be shocked by the prevalence of such qualities, we could be influenced by the behavior and attitudes of those who display them. (Prov. 13:20) Therefore, we must protect ourselves from being infected with negative traits while at the same time helping others spiritually.

2 Timothy 3:13

But wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled.+

2 Timothy 3:1-5

But know this, that in the last days+ critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power;+ and from these turn away.

Proverbs 13:20

The one walking with the wise will become wise,+

But the one who has dealings with the stupid will fare badly.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2019, 06:29:10 AM »

Tuesday, October 8

I will refresh you.​—Matt. 11:28.

Jesus added: “Take my yoke upon you . . . For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.” (Matt. 11:29, 30) How true that statement is! At times, we may feel exhausted when we leave home to attend a congregation meeting or to engage in the field ministry. But how do we feel when we return? Refreshed​—and better prepared to deal with life’s trials. Jesus’ yoke is kindly indeed! A sister whom we will call Kayla has had to battle with chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, and migraine headaches. Understandably, she has sometimes found it difficult to attend congregation meetings. However, after she made the effort to attend a public meeting, she wrote: “The talk was about discouragement. The information was presented in such an empathetic and concerned way that I was moved to tears. I was reminded that the meetings are where I need to be.” How happy she was that she made the effort to attend!

Matthew 11:28

Come to me, all you who are toiling* and loaded down, and I will refresh you.

Matthew 11:29, 30

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,* for I am mild-tempered+ and lowly in heart,+ and you will find refreshment for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is kindly,* and my load is light.”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:30 AM »

Saturday, October 12

Let no man deprive you of the prize.​—Col. 2:18.

Like the apostle Paul, spirit-anointed Christians today have the precious prospect of receiving “the prize of the upward call of God.” (Phil. 3:14) They look forward to serving with Jesus Christ in his heavenly Kingdom and sharing with him in bringing mankind to perfection. (Rev. 20:6) What a wonderful goal such ones have been invited by God to pursue! The other sheep have a different hope. They look forward to gaining the prize of everlasting life on earth​—and what a happy prospect that is! (2 Pet. 3:13) To help fellow anointed Christians to stay faithful and attain the prize, Paul urged them: “Keep your minds fixed on the things above.” (Col. 3:2) They were to keep in mind the precious hope of receiving their heavenly inheritance. (Col. 1:4, 5) Indeed, contemplating the blessings that Jehovah sets before his people helps all of God’s servants to keep their eyes on the prize.​—1 Cor. 9:24.

Colossians 2:18

Let no man deprive you of the prize+ who takes delight in a false humility and a form of worship of the angels, “taking his stand on”* the things he has seen. He is actually puffed up without proper cause by his fleshly frame of mind,

Philippians 3:14

I am pressing on toward the goal for the prize+ of the upward call+ of God by means of Christ Jesus.

Revelation 20:6

Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection;+ over these the second death+ has no authority,+ but they will be priests+ of God and of the Christ, and they will rule as kings with him for the 1,000 years.+

2 Peter 3:13

But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise,+ and in these righteousness is to dwell.+

Colossians 3:2

Keep your minds fixed on the things above,+ not on the things on the earth.+

Colossians 1:4, 5

since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love you have for all the holy ones 5 because of the hope that is being reserved for you in the heavens.+ You previously heard about this hope through the message of truth of the good news

1 Corinthians 9:24

Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2019, 06:57:05 AM »

Sunday, October 13

Sing to Jehovah!​—Ps. 96:1.

Many of the songs from “Sing Out Joyfully” to Jehovah are in the form of a prayer. With these songs, you can express your personal feelings to Jehovah. Other songs will help “to incite [us] to love and fine works.” (Heb. 10:24) Surely we want to become familiar with the melodies, rhythms, and lyrics of our songs. You can do so by listening to the vocal renditions available on jw.org. By practicing the songs at home, you can learn to sing them with confidence and heartfelt expression. Remember that singing is an important feature of our worship. It is a powerful way to show our love and appreciation for Jehovah. (Isa. 12:5) When you sing out joyfully, you will also encourage others to sing with confidence. Indeed, all in the congregation​—young, old, and newly interested ones—​can join in this form of direct worship of Jehovah. So do not hold back in expressing yourself in song. Yes, make a joyful sound!

Psalm 96:1

Sing to Jehovah a new song.+

Sing to Jehovah, all the earth!+

Hebrews 10:24

And let us consider* one another so as to incite* to love and fine works,+

Isaiah 12:5

Sing praises* to Jehovah,+ for he has done magnificent things.+

Let this be made known in all the earth.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »

Monday, October 14

Prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves.​—Matt. 10:16.

Many of today’s refugees come from countries where our preaching work is restricted. Thanks to zealous Witnesses in the lands receiving refugees, thousands of refugees are hearing “the word of the Kingdom” for the first time. (Matt. 13:19, 23) Many who are “loaded down” are finding spiritual refreshment at our meetings and quickly acknowledge: “God is really among you.” (Matt. 11:28-30; 1 Cor. 14:25) Those who preach to refugees need to be “cautious” and even “shrewd.” (Prov. 22:3) Listen patiently to their concerns, but do not discuss politics. Follow directions from the branch office and from local authorities; never put yourself or others at risk. Learn and respect refugees’ religious and cultural sensitivities. For instance, people from some lands have strong feelings about proper dress for women. Therefore, when preaching to refugees, dress so as not to cause needless offense.

Matthew 10:16

“Look! I am sending you out as sheep among wolves;+ so prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves.+

Matthew 13:19

Where anyone hears the word of the Kingdom but does not get the sense of it, the wicked one+ comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart; this is the one sown alongside the road.+

Matthew 13:23

As for the one sown upon the fine soil, this is the one hearing the word and getting the sense of it, who really does bear fruit and produces, this one 100 times more, that one 60, the other 30.”+

Matthew 11:28-30

Come to me, all you who are toiling* and loaded down, and I will refresh you. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,* for I am mild-tempered+ and lowly in heart,+ and you will find refreshment for yourselves. 30 For my yoke is kindly,* and my load is light.”

1 Corinthians 14:25

The secrets of his heart then become evident,+ so that he will fall facedown and worship God, declaring: “God is really among you.”+

Proverbs 22:3

The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,

But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences.*