Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 1189 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2019, 07:29:57 AM »

Saturday, September 7

If a servant is pampered from his youth, he will become thankless later on.​—Prov. 29:21.

We give to Jehovah because of our love and appreciation for him. We are overwhelmed when we consider all that Jehovah has done in our behalf. King David acknowledged that everything we receive comes from Jehovah and that whatever we give to Jehovah is from what he has already given us. (1 Chron. 29:11-14) Giving is good for us. It is healthy for us to be generous givers and not just receivers. We may think of a child who gives a gift to his parents from the small allowance they have given him. How the parents appreciate this gift! A son or a daughter who may be pioneering and living at home may rightly give the parents some funds to assist with household expenses. Though the parents may not expect this, they may accept these gifts because it is a way for the child to show appreciation for all that they do for him. Likewise, Jehovah realizes that giving from our valuable things is good for us.

Proverbs 29:21

If a servant is pampered from his youth,

He will become thankless later on.

1 Chronicles 29:11-14

Yours, O Jehovah, are the greatness+ and the mightiness+ and the beauty and the splendor and the majesty,*+ for everything in the heavens and on the earth is yours.+ Yours is the kingdom, O Jehovah.+ You are the One exalting yourself as head over all. 12 The riches and the glory are from you,+ and you rule over everything,+ and in your hand there are power+ and mightiness,+ and your hand is able to make great+ and to give strength to all.+ 13 And now, O our God, we thank you and praise your beautiful name.

14 “And yet, who am I and who are my people that we should be in a position to make voluntary offerings like this? For everything is from you, and we have given to you what comes from your own hand.

thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2019, 05:33:56 AM »

Sunday, September 8

Choose life so that you may live, you and your descendants.​—Deut. 30:19.

More is involved than simply telling your children what is right and what is wrong. You would also do well to help them reason on such questions as: ‘Why does the Bible forbid things that can be appealing to the flesh? What convinces me that Bible standards are always for my own good?’ (Isa. 48:17, 18) A child who expresses interest in getting baptized should be helped to reason on yet another matter​—how he or she feels about the responsibilities that come with being a Christian. What are the benefits? What are the costs? How do the benefits greatly outweigh the costs? (Mark 10:29, 30) Those are issues that one is likely to face after baptism. Therefore, it is crucial to think these matters through before taking that serious step. When children are helped to consider these things deeply, they are more likely to develop a personal conviction. Which one? That Bible standards are always in their best interests.

Deuteronomy 30:19

I take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the curse;+ and you must choose life so that you may live,+ you and your descendants,+

Isaiah 48:17, 18

This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel:+

“I, Jehovah, am your God,

The One teaching you to benefit yourself,*+

The One guiding you in the way you should walk.+

18 If only you would pay attention to my commandments!+

Then your peace would become just like a river+

And your righteousness like the waves of the sea.+

Mark 10:29, 30

Jesus said: “Truly I say to you, no one has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the good news+ 30 who will not get 100 times more now in this period of time*—houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and fields, with persecutions+—and in the coming system of things, everlasting life.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »

Monday, September 9

He calls them all by name.​—Isa. 40:26.

Many of you dear brothers and sisters are coping with serious illness. Others, although well along in years themselves, are caring for elderly relatives. Still others are struggling to provide, not luxury items, but just the basic necessities for their families. And we know that many are dealing with, not one, but several of such problems all at once! If Jehovah takes a personal interest in his inanimate creation, imagine how he feels about you who serve him, not because you have been programmed to do so, but because you love him! (Ps. 19:1, 3, 14) Our dear Father knows you through and through. “Even the hairs of your head are all numbered” by him. (Matt. 10:30) And the psalmist assures us: “Jehovah is aware of what the blameless go through.” (Ps. 37:18) Yes, he takes notice of the trials you face, and he can give you the strength to endure each one of them.

Isaiah 40:26

“Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.

Who has created these things?+

It is the One who brings out their army by number;

He calls them all by name.+

Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,+

Not one of them is missing.

Psalm 19:1

The heavens are declaring the glory of God;+

The skies above* proclaim the work of his hands.+

Psalm 19:3

There is no speech, and there are no words;

Their voice is not heard.

Psalm 19:14

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart

Be pleasing to you,+ O Jehovah, my Rock+ and my Redeemer.+

Matthew 10:30

But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.+

Psalm 37:18

Jehovah is aware of what the blameless go through,*

And their inheritance will last forever.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »

Tuesday, September 10

Tabitha, rise!​—Acts 9:40.

Peter’s resurrection of Tabitha was so convincing that “many became believers in the Lord.” They could testify both in general about the Lord and specifically about Jehovah’s ability to raise the dead. (Acts 9:36-42) Others became eyewitnesses to another resurrection. One time, the apostle Paul was at a meeting in an upper room in Troas, in what is now northwest Turkey. Paul spoke till midnight. A young man named Eutychus was listening, seated at a window. But he dozed off and fell from the third story to the ground below. Perhaps the physician Luke was the first to reach Eutychus, and Luke made a medical assessment: Eutychus was not merely injured and unconscious​—he was dead! Paul came downstairs and embraced the corpse, and then he made the dramatic announcement: “He is alive.” What a profound impact that would have had on eyewitnesses! Knowing the facts and grasping that a resurrection had occurred, they “were comforted beyond measure.”​—Acts 20:7-12.

Acts 9:40

Peter then put everyone outside,+ and kneeling down, he prayed. Then turning toward the body, he said: “Tab'i·tha, rise!” She opened her eyes, and as she caught sight of Peter, she sat up.+

Acts 9:36-42

Now there was in Jop'pa a disciple named Tab'i·tha, which means, when translated, “Dor'cas.” She abounded in good deeds and gifts of mercy that she was making. 37 But in those days she fell sick and died. So they bathed her and laid her in an upper room. 38 Since Lyd'da was near Jop'pa, when the disciples heard that Peter was in that city, they sent two men to him to urge him: “Please come to us without delay.”* 39 At that Peter got up and went with them. And when he arrived, they led him up into the upper room; and all the widows presented themselves to him, weeping and showing many garments and robes that Dor'cas had made while she was with them. 40 Peter then put everyone outside,+ and kneeling down, he prayed. Then turning toward the body, he said: “Tab'i·tha, rise!” She opened her eyes, and as she caught sight of Peter, she sat up.+ 41 Giving her his hand, he raised her up, and he called the holy ones and the widows and presented her alive.+ 42 This became known throughout all Jop'pa, and many became believers in the Lord.+\

Acts 20:7-12

On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to have a meal, Paul began addressing them, as he was going to depart the next day; and he prolonged his speech until midnight. 8 So there were quite a few lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together. 9 Seated at the window, a young man named Eu'ty·chus sank into a deep sleep while Paul kept talking, and overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was picked up dead. 10 But Paul went downstairs, threw himself on him and embraced him,+ and said: “Stop making a commotion, for he is alive.”+ 11 He then went upstairs and began the meal and ate. He continued conversing for quite a while, until daybreak, and then he departed. 12 So they took the boy away alive and were comforted beyond measure.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2019, 05:29:22 AM »

Wednesday, September 11

Come and witness the activities of Jehovah.​—Ps. 46:8.

Is mankind coming to grips with the problems that have plagued him for so long? Certainly, they have not learned to avoid war. Crimes, such as cybercrime, domestic violence, and terrorism, are increasing at an alarming rate. And death-dealing diseases still run rampant. The present economic and political systems are powered by selfish forces. Clearly, such forces cannot eliminate war, crime, disease, and poverty​—only God’s Kingdom can. Consider what Jehovah will do for mankind. War: God’s Kingdom will eliminate such deep-seated causes of war as selfishness, corruption, patriotism, false religion, and Satan himself. (Ps. 46:9) Crime: God’s Kingdom is already teaching millions to love and trust one another as no other government can. (Isa. 11:9) Disease: Jehovah will bless his people with perfect health. (Isa. 35:5, 6) Poverty: Jehovah will eliminate it and will provide his people with spiritual and physical prosperity.​—Ps. 72:12, 13.

Psalm 46:8

Come and witness the activities of Jehovah,

How he has done astonishing things on the earth.

Psalm 46:9

He is bringing an end to wars throughout the earth.+

He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;

He burns the military wagons* with fire.

Isaiah 11:9

They will not cause any harm+

Or any ruin in all my holy mountain,+

Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah

As the waters cover the sea.+

Isaiah 35:5, 6

At that time the eyes of the blind will be opened,+

And the ears of the deaf will be unstopped.+

6 At that time the lame will leap like the deer,+

And the tongue of the speechless will shout for joy.+

For waters will burst forth in the wilderness,

And streams in the desert plain.

Psalm 72:12, 13

For he will rescue the poor who cry for help,

Also the lowly one and whoever has no helper.

13 He will have pity on the lowly and the poor,

And the lives* of the poor he will save.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »

Friday, September 13

Whoever becomes ashamed of me . . . , the Son of man will also be ashamed of him.​—Mark 8:38.

At first, we may not have told our family about our association with Jehovah’s Witnesses. As our faith grew, though, we saw the need to be open about our beliefs. If your courageous stand has resulted in a problem between you and your non-Witness relatives, endeavor to have empathy for them. While we may be overjoyed about the Bible truths we have learned, our relatives may mistakenly believe that we have been tricked or have become part of a cult. They may think that we no longer love them because we do not celebrate holidays with them. They may even fear for our eternal welfare. We should show empathy by trying to see things from their viewpoint and by listening carefully to discern their real concerns. (Prov. 20:5) The apostle Paul endeavored to understand “people of all sorts” in order to share the good news with them, and a similar approach can help us as well.​—1 Cor. 9:19-23.

Mark 8:38

For whoever becomes ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of man will also be ashamed of him+ when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”+

Proverbs 20:5

The thoughts* of a man’s heart are like deep waters,

But the discerning man draws them out.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

For though I am free from all people, I have made myself the slave to all, so that I may gain as many people as possible. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew in order to gain Jews;+ to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not under law, in order to gain those under law.+ 21 To those without law I became as without law,+ although I am not without law toward God but under law toward Christ,+ in order to gain those without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, in order to gain the weak.+ I have become all things to people of all sorts, so that I might by all possible means save some. 23 But I do all things for the sake of the good news, in order to share it with others.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:10 AM »

Saturday, September 14

Sing praises to [Jehovah].​—Ps. 33:2.

Perhaps we are apprehensive about singing because we are unsure of how to sing. Yet, we can improve our singing by applying some basic suggestions. You can learn to sing with power and volume by breathing properly. Much as electricity powers a light bulb, breathing energizes your voice when you speak or sing. You should sing as loud as you speak or even louder than that. In fact, within the context of singing praises, the Scriptures sometimes direct Jehovah’s worshippers to “shout joyfully.” (Ps. 33:1-3) Try the following: Choose one of your favorite songs from our songbook. Read the lyrics out loud in a strong, confident voice. Next, using the same volume, say all the words from a single phrase of the song in one breath. Then sing the phrase, using the same vibrant voice. (Isa. 24:14) Your singing voice will become fuller, and that is a good thing. Do not let it scare you or embarrass you!

Psalm 33:2

Give thanks to Jehovah with the harp;

Sing praises* to him with a ten-stringed instrument.

Psalm 33:1-3

Shout joyfully, you righteous ones, because of Jehovah.+

It is fitting for the upright to praise him.

2 Give thanks to Jehovah with the harp;

Sing praises* to him with a ten-stringed instrument.

3 Sing to him a new song;+

Play skillfully on the strings, along with shouts of joy.

Isaiah 24:14

They will raise their voice,

They will shout joyfully.

From the sea* they will proclaim the majesty of Jehovah.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2019, 05:45:10 AM »

Sunday, September 15

Everyone whose spirit the true God had stirred​—prepared to go up and rebuild the house of Jehovah, which was in Jerusalem.​—Ezra 1:5.

As the Jews traveled along, they no doubt spent many hours thinking about their new home. They had heard how beautiful the city of Jerusalem once was. The oldest ones among them had seen the former glory of the temple. (Ezra 3:12) If you had traveled with them, how would you have felt when you first caught sight of Jerusalem, your new home? Would you have been saddened when you saw the ruined buildings overgrown with weeds? Would you have compared the massive double walls of Babylon with Jerusalem’s broken-down walls, with large gaps where gates and watchtowers once stood? Yet, the people took heart. They had already seen Jehovah’s saving hand in their behalf throughout their long trip homeward. The first thing they did upon arriving was set up an altar on the site of the former temple, and they began to offer daily sacrifices to Jehovah.​—Ezra 3:1, 2.

Ezra 1:5

Then the heads of the paternal houses of Judah and of Benjamin and the priests and the Levites—everyone whose spirit the true God had stirred—prepared to go up and rebuild the house of Jehovah, which was in Jerusalem.

Ezra 3:12

Many of the priests, the Levites, and the heads of the paternal houses—the old men who had seen the former house+—wept with a loud voice when they saw the foundation of this house being laid, while many others shouted joyfully at the top of their voice.+

Ezra 3:1, 2

When the seventh month+ arrived and the Israelites* were in their cities, they gathered together with one accord in Jerusalem. 2 Jesh'u·a+ the son of Je·hoz'a·dak and his fellow priests and Ze·rub'ba·bel+ the son of She·al'ti·el+ and his brothers rose up and built the altar of the God of Israel, so that they could offer up burnt sacrifices on it, as it is written in the Law of Moses+ the man of the true God.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2019, 05:59:48 AM »

Monday, September 16

Do not be afraid or be terrified, for Jehovah . . . is with you.​—1 Chron. 28:20.

Solomon likely learned much about courage from his own father. David displayed tremendous courage when he confronted a battle-hardened giant. Yes, with God’s help and a smooth stone, David defeated Goliath. (1 Sam. 17:45, 49, 50) How appropriate it was later for David to urge Solomon to be courageous and construct the temple! Jehovah would be with him until the work of building the temple was finished. With his father’s words impressed on his mind and heart, Solomon did not allow his youth and inexperience to become an obstacle. He showed great courage, went to work, and with Jehovah’s help completed the magnificent temple in seven and a half years. As Jehovah helped Solomon, he can help us to be courageous and to accomplish our work, both in our family and in the congregation. (Isa. 41:10, 13) When we show courage in our worship of Jehovah, we can be confident of his blessing now and in the future.

1 Chronicles 28:20

Then David said to his son Sol'o·mon: “Be courageous and strong and go to work. Do not be afraid or be terrified, for Jehovah God, my God, is with you.+ He will not desert you or abandon you,+ but he will be with you until all the work for the service of Jehovah’s house is finished.

1 Samuel 17:45

David replied to the Phi·lis'tine: “You are coming against me with sword and spear and javelin,+ but I am coming against you in the name of Jehovah of armies,+ the God of the battle line of Israel, whom you have taunted.*+

1 Samuel 17:49, 50

David thrust his hand into his bag and took a stone from there and slung it. He struck the Phi·lis'tine in the forehead, and the stone sank into his forehead and he fell facedown on the ground.+ 50 So David prevailed over the Phi·lis'tine with a sling and a stone; he struck down the Phi·lis'tine and put him to death, though there was no sword in David’s hand.+

Isaiah 41:10

Do not be afraid, for I am with you.+

Do not be anxious, for I am your God.+

I will fortify you, yes, I will help you,+

I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness.’

Isaiah 41:13

For I, Jehovah your God, am grasping your right hand,

The One saying to you, ‘Do not be afraid. I will help you.’+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »

Tuesday, September 17

The word of God is alive and exerts power.​—Heb. 4:12.

As Jehovah’s people, we have no doubt that God’s word, his message to humans, “is alive and exerts power.” Many of us are living proof of the Bible’s power to change lives. Some of our brothers and sisters were formerly thieves, drug addicts, or sexually immoral. Others enjoyed a measure of success in this system of things but felt that something was missing in their life. (Eccl. 2:3-11) Time and again, individuals who seemed hopelessly lost found their way to the path of life by means of the Bible’s transforming power. You have likely read and greatly enjoyed a number of these experiences as published in The Watchtower in the series “The Bible Changes Lives.” And you have seen that even after accepting the truth, Christians continue to make spiritual progress with the help of the Scriptures.

Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is alive and exerts power+ and is sharper than any two-edged sword+ and pierces even to the dividing of soul* and spirit,* and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Ecclesiastes 2:3-11

I explored with my heart by indulging myself with wine,+ all the while maintaining my own wisdom; I even embraced foolishness to find out what was the best thing for humans to do during their few days of life under the heavens. 4 I undertook great works.+ I built houses for myself;+ I planted vineyards for myself.+ 5 I made gardens and parks for myself, and I planted in them all sorts of fruit trees. 6 I made pools of water for myself, to irrigate a grove* of flourishing trees. 7 I acquired male and female servants,+ and I had servants born in my household.* I also acquired much livestock—cattle and flocks+—more than any of my predecessors in Jerusalem. 8 I accumulated silver and gold for myself,+ the treasures of* kings and of provinces.+ I gathered male and female singers for myself, as well as what brings great pleasure to the sons of men—a woman, yes, many women.* 9 So I grew great and surpassed anyone prior to me in Jerusalem.+ And my wisdom remained with me.

10 I did not deny myself anything that I desired.*+ I did not withhold from my heart any sort of pleasure,* for my heart was joyful because of all my hard work, and this was my reward* for all my hard work.+ 11 But when I reflected on all the works that my own hands had done and on all the hard work that I had toiled to accomplish,+ I saw that everything was futile, a chasing after the wind;+ there was nothing of real value* under the sun.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »

Wednesday, September 18

Because of Jehovah’s compassion for him, . . . they brought him out and stationed him outside the city.?—Gen. 19:16.

Does not that incident in Lot’s life demonstrate that Jehovah is fully aware of the difficult situations in which his faithful people sometimes find themselves? (Isa. 63:7-9; Jas. 5:11, ftn.; 2 Pet. 2:9) He has also taught his people the need to display compassion. Consider the law given to Israel regarding the seizing of a man’s garment as security for a loan. (Ex. 22:26, 27) A hard-hearted lender might have been tempted to seize the debtor’s garment, leaving him without a covering in which to sleep. Yet, Jehovah taught his people to avoid such an unfeeling attitude and course. His people were to be compassionate. Does not the principle reflected in that particular law move us to action? Would we want to leave our brothers out in the cold, so to speak, if there is something that we can do to relieve their suffering??—Col. 3:12; Jas. 2:15, 16; 1 John 3:17.

Genesis 19:16

When he kept lingering, then because of Jehovah’s compassion for him,+ the men seized hold of his hand and the hand of his wife and the hands of his two daughters, and they brought him out and stationed him outside the city.+

Isaiah 63:7-9

I will mention Jehovah’s acts of loyal love,

The praiseworthy acts of Jehovah,

Because of all that Jehovah has done for us,+

The many good things he has done for the house of Israel,

According to his mercy and his great loyal love.

8 For he said: “Surely they are my people, sons who will not be disloyal.”*+

So he became their Savior.+

9 During all their distress it was distressing to him.+

And his own personal messenger* saved them.+

In his love and compassion he repurchased them,+

And he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old.+

James 5:11

Look! We consider happy* those who have endured.+ You have heard of the endurance of Job+ and have seen the outcome Jehovah* gave,+ that Jehovah* is very tender in affection* and merciful.+

2 Peter 2:9

So, then, Jehovah* knows how to rescue people of godly devotion out of trial,+ but to reserve unrighteous people to be destroyed* on the day of judgment,+

Exodus 22:26, 27

“If you seize the garment of your fellow man as security for a loan,*+ you are to return it to him by sunset. 27 For it is his only covering, his clothing to cover his body;* in what will he lie down to sleep?+ When he cries out to me, I will certainly hear, for I am compassionate.*+

Colossians 3:12

Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones,+ holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion,+ kindness, humility,*+ mildness,+ and patience.+

James 2:15, 16

If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing* and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it?+

1 John 3:17

But whoever has the material possessions of this world and sees his brother in need and yet refuses to show him compassion, in what way does the love of God remain in him?+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #116 on: Yesterday at 06:13:45 AM »

Thursday, September 19

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.​—Luke 23:34.

Jesus prayed that his Father forgive his executioners. What an outstanding example of mildness and patience under painful and stressful circumstances! (1 Pet. 2:21-23) How can we show mildness and patience? Paul mentioned one way when he wrote to fellow believers: “Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another. Just as Jehovah freely forgave you, you must also do the same.” (Col. 3:13) Indeed, it takes mildness and patience on our part to obey this command. But by being forgiving, we promote and preserve the unity in the congregation. Being clothed with mildness and patience is not optional for a Christian. It is an essential requirement for our salvation. (Matt. 5:5; Jas. 1:21) More important, by means of these qualities, we honor Jehovah and help others to heed the Bible’s counsel.​—Gal. 6:1; 2 Tim. 2:24, 25.

Luke 23:34

But Jesus was saying: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”+ Furthermore, they cast lots to distribute his garments.+

1 Peter 2:21-23

In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you,+ leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely.+ 22 He committed no sin,+ nor was deception found in his mouth.+ 23 When he was being insulted,*+ he did not insult* in return.+ When he was suffering,+ he did not threaten, but he entrusted himself to the One who judges+ righteously.

Colossians 3:13

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely+ even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another.+ Just as Jehovah* freely forgave you, you must also do the same.+

Matthew 5:5

“Happy are the mild-tempered,+ since they will inherit the earth.+

James 1:21

Therefore, put away all filthiness and every trace of badness,*+ and accept with mildness the implanting of the word that is able to save you.*

Galatians 6:1

Brothers, even if a man takes a false step before he is aware of it, you who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness.+ But keep an eye on yourself,+ for fear you too may be tempted.+

2 Timothy 2:24, 25

For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle* toward all,+ qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged,+ 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed.+ Perhaps God may give them repentance* leading to an accurate knowledge of truth,+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #117 on: Today at 05:27:07 AM »

Friday, September 20

Jehovah knows how to rescue people of godly devotion out of trial.​—2 Pet. 2:9.

As we search the Scriptures, time and again we find examples of Jehovah doing the unexpected. King Hezekiah lived at a time when King Sennacherib of Assyria invaded Judah and captured all the fortified cities, with the exception of Jerusalem. (2 Ki. 18:1-3, 13) Then, Sennacherib turned his attention to Jerusalem. What did King Hezekiah do when faced with this imminent threat? He approached Jehovah in prayer and turned to Jehovah’s prophet Isaiah for advice. (2 Ki. 19:5, 15-20) Hezekiah also tried to show his reasonableness by paying the fine that Sennacherib imposed on him. (2 Ki. 18:14, 15) In time, Hezekiah made preparations for a long siege. (2 Chron. 32:2-4) But how was the situation resolved? Jehovah sent an angel to destroy 185,000 of Sennacherib’s soldiers in one night. Truly, not even Hezekiah expected that to happen!​—2 Ki. 19:35

2 Peter 2:9

So, then, Jehovah* knows how to rescue people of godly devotion out of trial,+ but to reserve unrighteous people to be destroyed* on the day of judgment,+

2 Kings 18:1-3

In the third year of Ho·she'a+ the son of E'lah the king of Israel, Hez·e·ki'ah+ the son of King A'haz+ of Judah became king. 2 He was 25 years old when he became king, and he reigned for 29 years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was A'bi* the daughter of Zech·a·ri'ah.+ 3 He kept doing what was right in Jehovah’s eyes,+ just as David his forefather had done.+

2 Kings 19:15-20

And Hez·e·ki'ah began to pray+ before Jehovah and say: “O Jehovah the God of Israel, sitting enthroned above* the cherubs,+ you alone are the true God of all the kingdoms of the earth.+ You made the heavens and the earth. 16 Incline your ear, O Jehovah, and hear!+ Open your eyes,+ O Jehovah, and see! Hear the words that Sen·nach'er·ib has sent to taunt the living God. 17 It is a fact, O Jehovah, that the kings of As·syr'i·a have devastated the nations and their lands.+ 18 And they have thrown their gods into the fire, because they were not gods+ but the work of human hands,+ wood and stone. That is why they could destroy them. 19 But now, O Jehovah our God, please save us out of his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone are God, O Jehovah.”+

20 Isaiah son of A'moz then sent this message to Hez·e·ki'ah: “This is what Jehovah the God of Israel says, ‘I have heard your prayer+ to me concerning King Sen·nach'er·ib of As·syr'i·a.+

2 Kings 18:14, 15

So King Hez·e·ki'ah of Judah sent word to the king of As·syr'i·a at La'chish: “I am at fault. Withdraw from against me, and I will give whatever you may impose on me.” The king of As·syr'i·a imposed on King Hez·e·ki'ah of Judah a fine of 300 silver talents* and 30 gold talents. 15 So Hez·e·ki'ah gave all the silver that could be found at the house of Jehovah and in the treasuries of the king’s house.*+

2 Chronicles 32:2-4

When Hez·e·ki'ah saw that Sen·nach'er·ib had come and intended to wage war against Jerusalem, 3 he decided, after consulting with his princes and his warriors, to stop up the waters of the springs outside the city,+ and they gave him their support. 4 Many people were gathered together, and they stopped up all the springs and the stream that flowed through the land, saying: “Why should the kings of As·syr'i·a come and find plenty of water?”

2 Kings 19:35

On that very night the angel of Jehovah went out and struck down 185,000 men in the camp of the As·syr'i·ans.+ When people rose up early in the morning, they saw all the dead bodies.+