Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 2828 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »

Monday, August 5

A physical man does not accept the things of the spirit of God.?—1 Cor. 2:14.

The world has a predominant attitude that centers on the flesh. Paul describes it as “the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.” (Eph. 2:2) This spirit influences most humans to adopt a common attitude?—simply follow the crowd. As a result, the majority of them do what feels right in their own eyes and make no effort to live up to God’s standards. A physical person is often excessively concerned about prestige and material pursuits or about defending what he feels are his rights. People who engage in any of “the works of the flesh” fall into that category. (Gal. 5:19-21) A fleshly attitude includes: promoting divisions, taking sides, fostering dissensions, taking one another to court, showing a lack of appreciation for headship, and being self-indulgent in food and drink. When confronted with temptation, the fleshly-minded person weakens and gives in.?—Prov. 7:21, 22

1 Corinthians 2:14

But a physical man does not accept* the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know them, because they are examined spiritually.

Ephesians 2:2

in which you at one time walked according to the system of things* of this world,+ according to the ruler of the authority of the air,+ the spirit+ that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.

Galatians 5:19-21 

Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality,*+ uncleanness, brazen conduct,*+ 20 idolatry, spiritism,*+ hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness,+ wild parties,* and things like these.+ I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.+

Proverbs 7:21, 22

She misleads him with great persuasiveness.+
She seduces him with smooth speech.
22 Suddenly he goes after her, like a bull to the slaughter,
Like a fool to be punished in the stocks,*+

thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »

Tuesday, August 6

Men will be . . . lovers of pleasures.?—2 Tim. 3:2, 4.

There is nothing wrong with a balanced view of pleasures. Jehovah does not want us to practice severe self-denial or to abstain from wholesome activities that bring enjoyment. The Bible encourages faithful ones: “Go, eat your food with rejoicing, and drink your wine with a cheerful heart.” (Eccl. 9:7) Second Timothy 3:4 refers to a pursuit of pleasures that excludes God. Notice that the verse does not say that people would love pleasures more than God, implying that they would have some love for him. It says ‘rather than God.’ One scholar wrote: “This [verse] definitely does not mean that they also love God to some extent. It means that they do not love God at all.” What a sobering warning to those who are nurturing an inordinate love of pleasures! The phrase “lovers of pleasures” aptly describes those who are “carried away by . . . pleasures of this life.”?—Luke 8:14.

2 Timothy 3:2

For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal,

Ecclesiastes 9:7

Go, eat your food with rejoicing, and drink your wine with a cheerful heart,+ for already the true God has found pleasure in your works.+

2 Timothy 3:4

betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,

Luke 8:14

As for that which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, but by being carried away by anxieties, riches,+ and pleasures of this life,+ they are completely choked and bring nothing to maturity.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »

Wednesday, August 7

Honor Jehovah with your valuable things.?—Prov. 3:9.

Jehovah is a generous God. Everything we have is from him. Jehovah owns all the gold and silver along with all other natural resources of the earth, and he uses them to provide what is needed to sustain life. (Ps. 104:13-15; Hag. 2:8) For 40 years, Jehovah supplied manna and water for the nation of Israel while they were in the wilderness. (Ex. 16:35; Neh. 9:20, 21) Through the prophet Elisha, Jehovah performed the miracle of multiplying the small quantity of oil for a faithful widow. God’s gift enabled her to pay off her debts and after that to have enough money for her and her sons to live on. (2 Ki. 4:1-7) With Jehovah’s support, Jesus miraculously provided food and even money when needed. (Matt. 15:35-38; 17:27) Jehovah has access to unlimited resources that can sustain his earthly creation. However, he still invites his servants to use their material things to support the work of his organization.?—Ex. 36:3-7.

Proverbs 3:9 

Honor Jehovah with your valuable things,+
With the firstfruits* of all your produce;*+

Psalm 104:13-15

He is watering the mountains from his upper rooms.+
With the fruitage of your works the earth is satisfied.+
14 He is making grass grow for the cattle
And vegetation for mankind’s use,+
To grow food from the land
15 And wine that makes man’s heart rejoice,+
Oil that makes the face shine,
And bread that sustains the heart of mortal man.+

Haggai 2:8

“‘The silver is mine, and the gold is mine,’ declares Jehovah of armies.

Exodus 16:35

The Israelites ate the manna for 40 years,+ until they came to a land that was inhabited.+ They ate the manna until they came to the frontier of the land of Ca'naan.+

Nehemiah 9:20, 21

And you gave your good spirit to give them insight,+ and you did not hold back your manna from their mouth,+ and you gave them water when they were thirsty.+ 21 For 40 years you provided them with food in the wilderness.+ They lacked nothing. Their garments did not wear out,+ and their feet did not become swollen.

2 Kings 4:1-7

Now one of the wives of the sons of the prophets+ cried out to E·li'sha, saying: “Your servant my husband is dead, and you well know that your servant had always feared Jehovah.+ Now a creditor has come to take both of my children as his slaves.” 2 At this E·li'sha said to her: “What can I do for you? Tell me, what do you have in the house?” She replied: “Your servant has nothing at all in the house but a jar* of oil.”+ 3 Then he said: “Go outside, ask for containers from all your neighbors, empty containers. Do not limit yourself to a few. 4 Then go in and close the door behind you and your sons. Fill all these containers, and set the full ones aside.” 5 So she left him.
When she closed the door behind her and her sons, they passed the containers to her, and she kept pouring.+ 6 When the containers were full, she said to one of her sons: “Bring another container to me.”+ But he said to her: “There are no more containers.” At that the oil stopped.+ 7 So she came in and told the man of the true God, and he said: “Go, sell the oil and pay off your debts, and you and your sons can live from what is left.”

Matthew 15:35-38

So after instructing the crowd to recline on the ground, 36 he took the seven loaves and the fish, and after offering thanks, he broke them and began giving them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds.+ 37 And all ate and were satisfied, and they took up seven large baskets full of leftover fragments.+ 38 Now those eating were 4,000 men, as well as women and young children.

Matthew 17:27

27 But that we do not cause them to stumble,+ go to the sea, cast a fishhook, and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth, you will find a silver coin. Take that and give it to them for me and you.”

Exodus 36:3-7

Then they took from Moses all the contribution+ that the Israelites had brought for the work of the holy service. However, these continued to bring him voluntary offerings, morning after morning.
4 Then after they started the holy work, all the skilled workers were coming, one after another, 5 and they were telling Moses: “The people are bringing much more than what is required for the work that Jehovah has commanded to be done.” 6 So Moses commanded that an announcement be made throughout the camp, saying: “Men and women, do not bring any more goods for the holy contribution.” With that the people were restrained from bringing in anything else. 7 The goods were enough for all the work to be done, and more than enough.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »

Saturday, August 10

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child.​—Prov. 22:15, ftn.

Logically, then, wisdom​—the opposite of foolishness—​would be one evidence of maturity. Spiritual maturity is not determined primarily by age but by a person’s healthy fear of Jehovah and readiness to obey his commands. (Ps. 111:10) Young ones who are reasonably mature spiritually are not “tossed about as by waves and carried here and there” by their desires or by pressure from their peers. (Eph. 4:14) Rather, they are making progress in having “their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Heb. 5:14) They demonstrate that they are progressing toward maturity by making wise decisions. That kind of wisdom is necessary for salvation. (Prov. 24:14) Therefore, make sure that you clearly state your Bible-based values to your children. By your words and by your example, let them know that the values found in God’s Word are also your values.​—Rom. 2:21-23.

Proverbs 22:15

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a boy,*+
But the rod of discipline will remove it far from him.+

Psalm 111:10

The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom.+
? [Sin]
All those observing his orders* show good insight.+
? [Taw]
His praise endures forever.

phesians 4:14

So we should no longer be children, tossed about as by waves and carried here and there by every wind of teaching+ by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in deceptive schemes.

Hebrews 5:14

But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment* trained to distinguish both right and wrong.

Proverbs 24:14 

Likewise, know that wisdom is good for you.*+
If you find it, you will have a future
And your hope will not be cut off.+

Romans 2:21-23

do you, however, the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself?+ You, the one preaching, “Do not steal,”+ do you steal? 22 You, the one saying, “Do not commit adultery,”+ do you commit adultery? You, the one abhorring idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who take pride in law, do you dishonor God by your transgressing of the Law?

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2019, 07:25:36 AM »

Sunday, August 11

Go on walking in wisdom toward those on the outside . . . Know how you should answer each person.​—Col. 4:5, 6.

The idea that humans can solve their own problems may sound appealing to many people. Why? If it were true, it would mean that man does not need God’s guidance and that man can do as he pleases. Also, that idea may sound convincing because​—according to some studies—​war, crime, disease, and poverty are all decreasing. One report states: “The reason humanity is getting better is because humans have decided to make the world a better place.” If you hear a worldly idea that seems to challenge your faith, research what God’s Word says on the subject and discuss the matter with an experienced fellow believer. Consider why the idea may sound appealing, why such thinking is faulty, and how you can refute it. Indeed, all of us can protect ourselves against worldly thinking by following the admonition that Paul gave in today’s text.

Colossians 4:5, 6

Go on walking in wisdom toward those on the outside, making the best use of your time.*+ 6 Let your words always be gracious, seasoned with salt,+ so that you will know how you should answer each person.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2019, 06:12:20 AM »

Monday, August 12

O God, I thank you that I am not like everyone else.​—Luke 18:11.

Why were the Pharisees so unwilling to show mercy? The Bible says that they “considered others as nothing.” (Luke 18:9-14) Imitate Jehovah, not the Pharisees. Show compassion. (Col. 3:13) One way to do so is to make it easy for others to seek your forgiveness. (Luke 17:3, 4) Ask yourself: ‘Is my forgiveness within reach of people who have wronged me, even repeatedly? Am I eager to restore peace with someone who has offended me or who has hurt me?’ Forgiveness is really a test of humility. The Pharisees failed that test because they considered others to be inferior. As Christians, however, we must humbly “consider others superior” to us, as worthy of our forgiveness. (Phil. 2:3) Will you imitate Jehovah and pass the test of humility? Keep the “road” to your forgiveness open and in good repair. Be quick to extend mercy and slow to take offense.​—Eccl. 7:8, 9.

Luke 18:11

The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like everyone else—extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.+

Luke 18:9-14

He also told this illustration to some who trusted in their own righteousness+ and who considered others as nothing: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like everyone else—extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.+ 12 I fast twice a week; I give the tenth of all things I acquire.’+ 13 But the tax collector, standing at a distance, was not willing even to raise his eyes heavenward but kept beating his chest, saying, ‘O God, be gracious to me, a sinner.’+ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his home and was proved more righteous than that Pharisee.+ Because everyone who exalts himself will be humiliated, but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”+

Colossians 3:13

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely+ even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another.+ Just as Jehovah* freely forgave you, you must also do the same.+

Luke 17:3, 4

Pay attention to yourselves. If your brother commits a sin, rebuke him,+ and if he repents, forgive him.+ 4 Even if he sins seven times a day against you and he comes back to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”+

Philippians 2:3

Do nothing out of contentiousness+ or out of egotism,+ but with humility* consider others superior to you,+

Ecclesiastes 7:8, 9

Better is the end of a matter than its beginning. Better to be patient than to be haughty in spirit.+ 9 Do not be quick* to take offense,+ for the taking of offense lodges in the bosom of fools.*+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2019, 05:20:28 AM »

Tuesday, August 13

It is good to sing praises to our God.​—Ps. 147:1.

You may feel embarrassed when comparing your voice with others. That, however, should not interfere with your responsibility to sing praises to Jehovah. Rather, hold your songbook up high, lift your head, and sing with heartfelt expression! (Ezra 3:11) Today, in many Kingdom Halls, the words of the songs are shown on screens, which helps us to sing out. It is also of interest that the singing of Kingdom songs has been made part of the Kingdom Ministry School curriculum for elders. This emphasizes the need for elders to take the lead in congregation singing. One factor that keeps many from singing with a full voice is fear. It may be fear of possibly sounding unpleasant to others. However, we should keep in mind that when we speak, “we all stumble many times.” (Jas. 3:2) Yet, that does not stop us from speaking. So why should we let our imperfect singing voices stop us from praising Jehovah in song?

Psalm 147:1

Praise Jah!*
It is good to sing praises* to our God;
How pleasant and fitting it is to praise him!+

Ezra 3:11

And they began to sing in response+ by praising and giving thanks to Jehovah, “for he is good; his loyal love toward Israel endures forever.”+ Then all the people shouted with a loud shout of praise to Jehovah because the foundation of the house of Jehovah had been laid.

James 3:2

For we all stumble* many times.+ If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able to bridle also his whole body.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »

Wednesday, August 14

It will occur​—if you do not fail to listen to the voice of Jehovah your God.​—Zech. 6:15.

As Zechariah’s seventh vision closes, the prophet has much to think about. Jehovah had guaranteed that he would hold dishonest people accountable for their wicked deeds. This promise surely strengthened Zechariah. Yet, nothing had really changed. Dishonesty and other wicked practices were still present, and the rebuilding of Jehovah’s temple in Jerusalem was far from complete. How could the Jews have abandoned their divinely appointed task so quickly? Had they returned to their homeland simply to further their own interests? Jehovah knew what his people needed. God gave Zechariah a final vision to assure the Jews of His love and appreciation for all that they had done so far and to guarantee protection for them if they would return to His work. In connection with rebuilding the temple, Jehovah made a promise​—the words of today’s text.

Zechariah 6:15

And those who are far away will come and take part in building the temple of Jehovah.” And you will have to know that Jehovah of armies has sent me to you. And it will occur—if you do not fail to listen to the voice of Jehovah your God.’”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2019, 06:54:37 AM »

Thursday, August 15

God . . . energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act.?—Phil. 2:13.

Courageous men who are willing to take on more responsibility are a blessing to a congregation. (1 Tim. 3:1) However, some may be reluctant to reach out. Perhaps a brother has made mistakes in the past, and now he feels that he is not worthy of being a ministerial servant or an elder. Another brother might have feelings of inadequacy about fulfilling an assignment. If you feel that way, Jehovah can help you develop courage. (Phil. 4:13) Remember, at one point, Moses did not feel qualified for an assignment. (Ex. 3:11) Yet, Jehovah helped him, and in time, Moses developed courage to accomplish the work. A baptized brother can develop similar courage by seeking God’s help in earnest prayer and by daily reading the Bible. Meditating on accounts of courage will also help. He can humbly ask the elders for training and make himself available to help in whatever way is needed.

Philippians 2:13 

For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act.

1 Timothy 3:1

This statement is trustworthy: If a man is reaching out to be an overseer,+ he is desirous of a fine work.

Philippians 4:13 

For all things I have the strength through the one who gives me power.+

Exodus 3:11

However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Phar'aoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »

Friday, August 16

The word of our God endures forever.​—Isa. 40:8.

Christians today need not think that the work of translating the Septuagint, Wycliffe’s Bible, the King James Version, or any other translation was inspired by God. Nevertheless, when we review the history of these and many other translations that have been published, it gives support to this fact: Just as Jehovah promised, his Word has endured. Does that not strengthen your faith that all the other promises Jehovah has made will likewise come true? (Josh. 23:14) Besides strengthening our faith, reviewing how the Bible has endured through the ages deepens our love for Jehovah. After all, why did he provide his Word in the first place? And why did he guarantee that it would survive? Because he loves us, and he wants to teach us how to benefit ourselves. (Isa. 48:17, 18) Naturally, it is fitting that we respond to Jehovah’s love by loving him in return and by obeying his commandments.​—1 John 4:19; 5:3.

Isaiah 40:8

The green grass dries up,
The blossom withers,
But the word of our God endures forever.”+

Joshua 23:14

“Now look! I am about to die,* and you well know with all your heart and with all your soul* that not one word out of all the good promises that Jehovah your God has spoken to you has failed. They have all come true for you. Not one word of them has failed.+

Isaiah 48:17, 18

This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel:+
“I, Jehovah, am your God,
The One teaching you to benefit yourself,*+
The One guiding you in the way you should walk.+
18 If only you would pay attention to my commandments!+
Then your peace would become just like a river+
And your righteousness like the waves of the sea.+

1 John 4:19

We love, because he first loved us.+

1 John 5:3

For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments;+ and yet his commandments are not burdensome,+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2019, 06:36:56 AM »

Saturday, August 17

Honor your father and your mother.​—Eph. 6:2.

Training children to follow this command can be especially challenging if you have an unbelieving mate. Set the example by honoring your mate. Focus on his or her good qualities, and express appreciation for your mate. Avoid saying negative things about your mate in front of your children. Instead, explain to them that each person must choose whether to serve Jehovah. The children’s good conduct might help to draw the unbelieving parent to true worship. Some husbands may forbid the Christian wife to teach the children from the Bible or to take them with her to Christian meetings. Even so, a Christian wife does what she can to teach the children Bible truth. (Acts 16:1; 2 Tim. 3:14, 15) While respecting his decisions, she can still express her faith in the presence of her children as opportunities arise, thus giving them moral training and knowledge about Jehovah.​—Acts 4:19, 20.

Ephesians 6:2 

“Honor your father and your mother”+ is the first command with a promise:

Acts 16:1

So he arrived at Der'be and also at Lys'tra.+ And a disciple named Timothy+ was there, the son of a believing Jewish woman but of a Greek father,

2 Timothy 3:14, 15

You, however, continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe,+ knowing from whom you learned them 15 and that from infancy+ you have known the holy writings,+ which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.+

Acts 4:19, 20

But in reply Peter and John said to them: “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, judge for yourselves.+ 20 But as for us, we cannot stop speaking about the things we have seen and heard.”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »

Sunday, August 18

Become imitators of God, as beloved children.​—Eph. 5:1.

Humans were made in God’s image. Accordingly, because Jehovah is compassionate, interest in others’ well-being is rooted in human nature. Even those who do not know the true God often show compassion. (Gen. 1:27) We find many accounts in the Bible where a sense of compassion shines through. Recall the account of the two prostitutes who argued before Solomon over which one of them was the actual mother of a child. When Solomon put them to the test by ordering that the baby be cut in half, the real mother’s compassion was stirred. That moved her to act, even at the cost of giving the child up to the other woman. (1 Ki. 3:23-27) Or recall Pharaoh’s daughter who saved baby Moses’ life. Though she realized that the infant she had found was a child of the Hebrews and should not be kept alive, “she felt compassion for him” and decided to raise the child as her own.​—Ex. 2:5, 6.

Ephesians 5:1

Therefore, become imitators of God,+ as beloved children,

Genesis 1:27

And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.+]

1 Kings 3:23-27

Finally the king said: “This one says, ‘This is my son, the living one, and your son is the dead one!’ and that one says, ‘No, your son is the dead one, and my son is the living one!’” 24 The king said: “Bring me a sword.” So they brought a sword to the king. 25 The king then said: “Cut the living child in two, and give half to one woman and half to the other.” 26 At once the woman whose son was the living one pleaded with the king, for her compassions were stirred toward her son. She said: “Please, my lord! You should give her the living child! By no means put him to death!” But the other woman was saying: “He will be neither mine nor yours! Let them cut him in two!” 27 At that the king answered: “Give the living child to the first woman! By no means put him to death, for she is his mother.”

Exodus 2:5, 6

When Phar'aoh’s daughter came down to bathe in the Nile, her female attendants were walking by the side of the Nile. And she caught sight of the basket in the middle of the reeds. She immediately sent her slave girl to get it.+ 6 When she opened it, she saw the child, and the boy was crying. She felt compassion for him, but she said: “This is one of the children of the Hebrews.”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2019, 05:46:34 AM »

Monday, August 19

[Jehovah] is patient with you.​—2 Pet. 3:9.

Humility is required of all true worshippers and brings great rewards. (Prov. 22:4) Being humble will help us to promote peace and unity in the congregation. Developing and strengthening humility will also make us recipients of God’s undeserved kindness. The apostle Peter stated: “All of you clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.” (1 Pet. 5:5) In today’s world, people who are mild and patient are often considered weak. How far such reasoning is from the truth! These beautiful qualities originate from the most powerful Person in the universe. Jehovah God is the best example of showing mildness and patience. Consider how he responded through his angelic representatives when Abraham and Lot questioned him. (Gen. 18:22-33; 19:18-21) Also, for over 1,500 years, Jehovah put up with the wayward nation of Israel.​—Ezek. 33:11.

2 Peter 3:9

Jehovah* is not slow concerning his promise,+ as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.+

Proverbs 22:4 

The result of humility and the fear of Jehovah
Is riches and glory and life.+

1 Peter 5:5

In the same way, you younger men, be in subjection to the older men.*+ But all of you clothe* yourselves with humility* toward one another, because God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.+

Genesis 18:22-33

Then the men left from there and went toward Sod'om, but Jehovah+ remained with Abraham. 23 Then Abraham approached and said: “Will you really sweep away the righteous with the wicked?+ 24 Suppose there are 50 righteous men within the city. Will you, then, sweep them away and not pardon the place for the sake of the 50 righteous who are inside it? 25 It is unthinkable that you would act in this manner by putting the righteous man to death with the wicked one so that the outcome for the righteous man and the wicked is the same!+ It is unthinkable of you.+ Will the Judge of all the earth not do what is right?”+ 26 Then Jehovah said: “If I find in Sod'om 50 righteous men in the city, I will pardon the whole place for their sake.” 27 But Abraham again responded: “Please, here I have presumed to speak to Jehovah, whereas I am dust and ashes. 28 Suppose the 50 righteous should lack five. Because of the five will you destroy the whole city?” To this he said: “I will not destroy it if I find there 45.”+
29 But yet again he spoke to him and said: “Suppose 40 are found there.” He answered: “I will not do it for the sake of the 40.” 30 But he continued: “Jehovah, please, do not become hot with anger,+ but let me go on speaking: Suppose only 30 are found there.” He answered: “I will not do it if I find 30 there.” 31 But he continued: “Please, here I have presumed to speak to Jehovah: Suppose only 20 are found there.” He answered: “I will not destroy it for the sake of the 20.” 32 Finally he said: “Jehovah, please, do not become hot with anger, but let me speak just once more: Suppose only ten are found there.” He answered: “I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten.” 33 When Jehovah finished speaking to Abraham, he went his way+ and Abraham returned to his place.

Genesis 19:18-21

Then Lot said to them: “Not there, please, Jehovah! 19 Please, now, your servant has found favor in your eyes and you are showing great kindness* to me by preserving me* alive,+ but I am not able to flee to the mountainous region because I am afraid that disaster may overtake me and I will die.+ 20 Please, now, this town is nearby and I can flee there; it is only a small place. May I, please, escape there? It is only a small place. Then I will survive.”* 21 So he said to him: “Very well, I will also show you consideration+ by not overthrowing the town you speak of.+

Ezekiel 33:11

Tell them, ‘“As surely as I am alive,” declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, “I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked,+ but rather that someone wicked changes his way+ and keeps living.+ Turn back, turn back from your bad ways,+ for why should you die, O house of Israel?”’+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »

Tuesday, August 20

The peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts.​—Phil. 4:7.

Pray, and then you will receive the peace of God. But notice that “the peace of God . . . surpasses all understanding.” What does that mean? Some translators render this expression “surpasses all our dreams” or “excels all human planning.” Paul was, in effect, saying that “the peace of God” is more wonderful than can be imagined. So although from a human viewpoint we may not see a way out of our problems, Jehovah does, and he can do the unexpected. (2 Pet. 2:9) How can we face challenges and still retain “the peace of God”? It is by maintaining a good relationship with our God, Jehovah. Such a relationship is possible only “by means of Christ Jesus,” who offered his life as a ransom sacrifice. The provision of that ransom is yet another one of the amazing works of our Father. Jehovah uses the ransom to cover our sins, enabling us to have a clean conscience and draw close to him.​—John 14:6; Jas. 4:8; 1 Pet. 3:21.

Philippians 4:7

and the peace+ of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts+ and your mental powers* by means of Christ Jesus.

Peter 2:9

So, then, Jehovah* knows how to rescue people of godly devotion out of trial,+ but to reserve unrighteous people to be destroyed* on the day of judgment,+

John 14:6

Jesus said to him: “I am the way+ and the truth+ and the life.+ No one comes to the Father except through me.+

James 4:8

Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.+ Cleanse your hands, you sinners,+ and purify your hearts,+ you indecisive ones.

1 Peter 3:21

Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience),+ through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2019, 06:29:22 AM »

Wednesday, August 21

The heart knows its own bitterness, and no outsider can share in its joy.​—Prov. 14:10.

At times, only a bereaved person’s own heart grasps the full depth of the emotional pain, and it may be difficult for him to voice his innermost feelings. Even when someone does express how he feels, it is not always easy for others to understand what he is trying to say. Understandably, then, it can be difficult to know what to say to someone who is overwhelmed by grief. Often, the most helpful thing you can do is to “weep with those who weep.” (Rom. 12:15) If you find it difficult to say something in person, it may be easier to provide consolation by means of a sympathy card, an e-mail, a text message, or a letter. You could simply quote a comforting scripture, recall some memorable characteristic or quality of the deceased, or share a happy memory that you cherish. And do not underestimate the value of your prayers with and for a bereaved fellow Christian.

Proverbs 14:10

The heart knows its own bitterness,*
And no outsider can share in its joy.

Romans 12:15

Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep.