Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 464 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 06:57:45 AM »

Thursday, July 4

[Noah] proved himself faultless among his contemporaries. Noah walked with the true God.​—Gen. 6:9.

Noah was not content just to lead a good life. He also became a bold “preacher of righteousness,” publicly confessing his faith in Jehovah. (2 Pet. 2:5) “Through this faith he condemned the world,” wrote the apostle Paul. (Heb. 11:7) It stands to reason, therefore, that Noah faced ridicule and opposition, perhaps even threats of violence. But he was not “trembling at men.” (Prov. 29:25) Rather, he had the courage that Jehovah gives to his faithful servants. After Noah had walked with God for more than five centuries, Jehovah told him to build an ark for the saving of human and animal life. (Gen. 5:32; 6:14) How difficult that project must have seemed​—and not just from the construction point of view! Noah surely knew that it would bring on even more ridicule and opposition. Still, he obediently went ahead in faith. “He did just so.”​—Gen. 6:22.

Genesis 6:9

This is the history of Noah.
Noah was a righteous man.+ He proved himself faultless* among his contemporaries.* Noah walked with the true God.+

2 Peter 2:5

And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world,+ but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness,+ safe with seven others+ when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people.+

Hebrews 11:7

By faith Noah,+ after receiving divine warning of things not yet seen,+ showed godly fear and constructed an ark+ for the saving of his household; and through this faith he condemned the world,+ and he became an heir of the righteousness that results from faith.

Proverbs 29:25

Trembling at* men is* a snare,+
But the one trusting in Jehovah will be protected.+

Genesis 5:32

After Noah reached 500 years of age, he became father to Shem,+ Ham,+ and Ja'pheth.+

Genesis 6:22

And Noah did according to all that God had commanded him. He did just so.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2019, 05:10:23 AM »

Friday, July 5

How good and how pleasant it is . . . to dwell together in unity!​—Ps. 133:1.

An important way to promote unity is by showing love in imitation of Jehovah, the God of love. (1 John 4:8) Never would we want to say regarding fellow worshippers, “I may have to love them, but I do not have to like them”! To think that way is contrary to Paul’s counsel that we should be “putting up with one another in love.” (Eph. 4:2) Note that he did not simply say that we should be “putting up with one another.” He added that we should do so “in love.” There is a difference. In our congregations are found all sorts of people whom Jehovah has drawn to him. (John 6:44) Since Jehovah has drawn them to him, he must find them lovable. How, then, could any of us judge a fellow worshipper as being unworthy of our love? We must not hold back the love that Jehovah commands us to display!​—1 John 4:20, 21.

Psalm 133:1

Look! How good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!+

1 John 4:8

Whoever does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.+

Ephesians 4:2

with all humility*+ and mildness, with patience,+ putting up with one another in love,+

John 6:44

No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him,+ and I will resurrect him on the last day.+

1 John 4:20, 21

If anyone says, “I love God,” and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar.+ For the one who does not love his brother,+ whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.+ 21 And we have this commandment from him, that whoever loves God must also love his brother.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2019, 07:29:38 AM »

Saturday, July 6

Remember . . . your Grand Creator in the days of your youth.​—Eccl. 12:1.

Some parents have concluded that it would be best for their son or daughter to delay baptism in order first to obtain some advanced education and become secure in a career. Such reasoning may be well-intentioned, but will it help their child to achieve genuine success? More important, is it in harmony with the Scriptures? It is important to remember that this world and all its components are opposed to Jehovah’s interests and thinking. (Jas. 4:7, 8; 1 John 2:15-17; 5:19) A close relationship with Jehovah is a child’s best defense against Satan, his world, and its ungodly thinking. For a parent to place high priority on secular pursuits could confuse a child and jeopardize his best interests. Would loving Christian parents really want this world to shape their child’s view of success? The fact is, we find true joy and success only when we give Jehovah first place in our lives.​—Ps. 1:2, 3.

Ecclesiastes 12:1

Remember, then, your Grand Creator in the days of your youth,+ before the days of distress* come+ and the years arrive when you will say: “I have no pleasure in them”;

James 4:7, 8

Therefore, subject yourselves to God;+ but oppose the Devil,+ and he will flee from you.+ 8 Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.+ Cleanse your hands, you sinners,+ and purify your hearts,+ you indecisive ones.

1 John 2:15-17

Do not love either the world or the things in the world.+ If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him;+ 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh+ and the desire of the eyes+ and the showy display of one’s means of life*—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire,+ but the one who does the will of God remains forever.+

1 John 5:19

We know that we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.+

Psalm 1:2, 3

But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,+
And he reads His law in an undertone* day and night.+
 3 He will be like a tree planted by streams of water,
A tree that produces fruit in its season,
The foliage of which does not wither.
And everything he does will succeed.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 06:41:02 AM »

Sunday, July 7

[Seek] first the Kingdom and his righteousness.?—Matt. 6:33.

Many have found that living a simple life not only makes them happier but also gives them more time to serve Jehovah. Jack sold his large home and business because he knew that doing so would make it possible for him to pioneer with his wife. He reflects: “For years, I would come home frustrated because of problems at work. My wife, a regular pioneer, was always so happy. She would say, ‘I have the greatest boss ever!’ Now that I too am pioneering, we both work for the same Person, Jehovah.” To analyze our view of money, we might honestly consider how we would answer these questions: ‘Do I really believe and live in harmony with what the Bible says about money? Does making money come first in my life? Do I value material things more than my relationship with Jehovah and with people? Do I really trust in Jehovah to care for my needs?’ We can be sure that he will never disappoint those hoping in him.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 06:49:20 AM »

Monday, July 8

Just as you have always obeyed, . . . keep working out your own salvation with fear and trembling.​—Phil. 2:12.

Working out your own salvation is a serious responsibility. Some of the things involved are reading God’s Word and meditating on it, praying to Jehovah, and thinking of ways that Jehovah has blessed you as an individual. Applying yourself in those aspects will boost your confidence in your privilege of having a friendship with Jehovah. That, in turn, will move you to speak up about your beliefs. (Ps. 73:28) Jesus said: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me.” (Matt. 16:24) Clearly, discipleship​—including dedication and baptism—​is an obligation for you as a Christian. Yet, it opens the door to countless blessings now and to everlasting life in God’s new world. You have every reason, then, to keep working out your own salvation!

Philippians 2:12

Consequently, my beloved ones, just as you have always obeyed, not only during my presence but now much more readily during my absence, keep working out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Psalm 73:28

But as for me, drawing near to God is good for me.+
I have made the Sovereign Lord Jehovah my refuge,
To declare all your works.+

Matthew 16:24 

Then Jesus said to his disciples: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake and keep following me.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2019, 05:53:45 AM »

Saturday, July 13

Choose cities convenient for yourselves to serve as cities of refuge.​—Num. 35:11.

The six cities of refuge were easy to access. Jehovah commanded Israel to distribute the cities evenly on both sides of the Jordan River. Why? So that any fugitive could find refuge quickly and conveniently. (Num. 35:12-14) Roads leading to the cities of refuge were kept in good repair. (Deut. 19:3) According to Jewish tradition, guideposts were erected to direct fugitives to the cities. Since the cities of refuge were available, an unintentional manslayer was not forced to flee to a foreign land, where he might be tempted to take up false worship. Think of it: Jehovah​—the very One who had mandated capital punishment for willful murderers—​gave unintentional manslayers ample opportunity to receive compassion and protection! “Every thing was made as plain, as simple, and as easy as possible,” wrote one commentator. Jehovah is not a heartless judge who is eager to punish his servants. Rather, he is “rich in mercy.”​—Eph. 2:4.

Numbers 35:11

You should choose cities convenient for yourselves to serve as cities of refuge, where the manslayer who unintentionally kills someone* should flee.+

Numbers 35:12-14

These cities will serve as a refuge for you from the blood avenger,+ so that the manslayer will not die until he stands trial before the assembly.+ 13 The six cities of refuge that you provide will serve this purpose. 14 You will provide three cities on this side of the Jordan+ and three cities in the land of Ca'naan+ to serve as cities of refuge.

Deuteronomy 19:3

You should divide the territory of the land that Jehovah your God has given you to possess into three parts, and prepare the roads so that any manslayer can flee to one of those cities.

Ephesians 2:4

But God, being rich in mercy,+ because of his great love with which he loved us,+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2019, 07:21:48 AM »

Sunday, July 14

Return to me, . . . and I will return to you.?—Zech. 1:3.

A flying scroll, a woman sealed inside a container, and two women soaring in the wind with wings like those of storks?—such dramatic images are found in the book of Zechariah. (Zech. 5:1, 7-9) Why did Jehovah give these striking visions to his prophet? Zechariah’s sixth and seventh visions are a sober warning to those who persist in dishonest ways, a reminder that Jehovah does not tolerate wrongdoing. On the part of his sincere worshippers, there must be a genuine hatred of wickedness. These accounts are also a loving reassurance from our heavenly Father. If we diligently work to be the sort of people who have God’s approval and protection, we will not have to face a death-dealing curse. Rather, Jehovah will gladly bless us. All our struggles to remain clean in a world full of wickedness will be worthwhile. We can be sure that we can succeed with Jehovah’s help!

Zechariah 1:3

“Say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies says: “‘Return to me,’ declares Jehovah of armies, ‘and I will return to you,’+ says Jehovah of armies.”’

Zechariah 5:1

Again I looked up, and I saw a flying scroll.

Zechariah 5:7-9

And I saw that the round lid of lead was lifted up, and there was a woman sitting inside the container. 8 So he said: “This is Wickedness.” Then he threw her back into the e'phah container, after which he thrust the lead weight over its mouth.
9 Then I looked up and saw two women coming forward, and they were soaring in the wind. They had wings like the wings of a stork. And they lifted up the container between the earth and heaven.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 05:48:00 AM »

Monday, July 15

Let the older women be reverent in behavior, . . . so that they may advise the younger women.​—Titus 2:3, 4.

Single sisters now have many opportunities to expand their ministry by pioneering, moving to where the need is greater, working with the Local Design/​Construction program, and applying for the School for Kingdom Evangelizers. Some are even able to attend Gilead School. Older women, though unable to do many of those things, are also a blessing to the congregation. How we love these dear sisters! Some may not be able to do as much as they once did in God’s service, but they can still show courage and go to work. For example, an older sister needs courage if she is asked to talk to a younger sister about modest dress. She will not scold the sister about her choice of clothing, but she may be able to encourage the younger one to consider how her choice of clothing may affect others. (1 Tim. 2:9, 10) Such loving expressions of concern may have a positive effect.

1 Timothy 2:9, 10

Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate* dress, with modesty and soundness of mind,* not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing,+ 10 but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God,+ namely, through good works.

Titus 2:3, 4

Likewise, let the older women be reverent in behavior, not slanderous, not enslaved to a lot of wine, teachers of what is good, 4 so that they may advise* the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children,

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #53 on: Today at 06:18:07 AM »

Tuesday, July 16

You will find the knowledge of God.​—Prov. 2:5.

At times, very powerful forces have tried to keep the Bible from the common people. However, sincere individuals have stood up to such opposition. For example, consider a 14th-century theologian named John Wycliffe. He strongly believed that everyone should be able to benefit from God’s Word. But in his time, the common people in England had virtually no access to the Bible. In 1382, the English translation later known as the Wycliffe Bible was produced. Desiring to get God’s Word into the mind and heart of ordinary people, itinerant preachers, known as the Lollards, traveled on foot from village to village throughout England. Often the Lollards read portions of the Wycliffe Bible to those whom they met, and they left handwritten copies behind. In the centuries that followed, many in Europe and other parts of the world began to promote translation and distribution of the Bible for the benefit of the common people.

Proverbs 2:5 

Then you will understand the fear of Jehovah,+
And you will find the knowledge of God.+