Author Topic: Daily Scripture  (Read 7101 times)

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Daily Scripture
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »

Thursday, August 22

What God has yoked together, let no man put apart.​—Matt. 19:6.

What if married life proves to be more challenging than expected? Suppose that it even seems disappointing. Reflect on Jehovah’s dealings with Israel. He referred to himself as being like a husband to that ancient nation. (Isa. 54:5; 62:4) What a difficult “marriage” that proved to be! Yet, Jehovah was not quick to give up on it. He repeatedly showed mercy toward the nation and loyalty to his covenant with them. (Ps. 106:43-45) Are we not drawn to Jehovah by such loyal love? Accordingly, married couples who love Jehovah’s ways imitate him. They do not seek an unscriptural way out of a difficult marriage. They realize that Jehovah has yoked them together and that he wants them to “stick” to each other. The only Scriptural ground for divorce that might free one to remarry is sexual immorality. (Matt. 19:5, 9) By making the best of their situation and even seeking to improve it, they uphold Jehovah’s righteous way of ruling.

Matthew 19:6

So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”+

Isaiah 54:5

“For your Grand Maker+ is as your husband,*+
Jehovah of armies is his name,
And the Holy One of Israel is your Repurchaser.+
He will be called the God of the whole earth.+

Psalm 106:43-45

Many times he rescued them,+
But they would rebel and disobey,+
And they would be brought low for their error.+
44 But he would see their distress+
And hear their cry for help.+
45 For their sake he would remember his covenant,
And he would feel pity,* moved by his great* loyal love.+

Matthew 19:5

and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’?+

Matthew 19:9

I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+
thanks Guest for reading my post

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »

Friday, August 23

Your eyes will be opened and you will be like God.​—Gen. 3:5.

Satan the Devil has raised the question of the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty. He contends that God’s rulership is corrupt and that Jehovah withholds the best from his creatures. According to the Devil, humans would be far happier and better off ruling themselves. (Gen. 3:1-4) Satan has also implied that under sufficient pressure, anyone will reject Jehovah’s rulership. (Job 2:4, 5) Jehovah is allowing time for human experience to reveal the unsavory truth about life outside of God’s righteous rule. Of course, Jehovah knows that the Devil’s allegations are false. So why has God chosen to allow the issue to go on, giving Satan time to try to prove his point? The answer involves all intelligent creatures. (Ps. 83:18) After all, the first human couple rejected Jehovah’s rulership, and so have many others since then. This could lead some to wonder whether there might be validity to the Devil’s claim.

Genesis 3:5

For God knows that in the very day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and bad.”+

Genesis 3:1-4

Now the serpent+ was the most cautious* of all the wild animals of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it said to the woman: “Did God really say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden?”+ 2 At this the woman said to the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden.+ 3 But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden:+ ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” 4 At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die.+

Job 2:4, 5

But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life.* 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.”+

Psalm 83:18 

May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah,+
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »

Saturday, August 24

Go . . . make disciples of people.​—Matt. 28:19.

Disciple-making is an educational experience that teaches you good work habits, communication skills, confidence, and tact. (Prov. 21:5; 2 Tim. 2:24, ftn.) But making disciples is especially joyful because it helps you to become more familiar with the Scriptural basis for your faith. You also learn how to work closely with Jehovah. (1 Cor. 3:9) You can enjoy making disciples even if few people in your territory respond to the good news. Making disciples is teamwork. The whole congregation searches for sincere ones. Although only one brother or sister may find the person who eventually becomes a disciple, all shared in the search and all can share in the joy. For example, Brandon spent nine years pioneering in unresponsive territory. He says: “It’s true that I have never found anyone in the territory who progressed to baptism, but others have. I’m glad I planned to share fully in the disciple-making work.”​—Eccl. 11:6.

Matthew 28:19

Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations,+ baptizing them+ in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit,

Proverbs 21:5

The plans of the diligent surely lead to success,*+
But all who are hasty surely head for poverty.+

2 Timothy 2:24

For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle* toward all,+ qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged,+

1 Corinthians 3:9 

For we are God’s fellow workers.+ You are God’s field under cultivation, God’s building.+

Ecclesiastes 11:6

Sow your seed in the morning and do not let your hand rest until the evening;+ for you do not know which will have success, whether this one or that one, or whether they will both do well.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »

Monday, August 26

Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?​—John 21:15.

The resurrected Jesus, knowing that his disciples had not caught anything while fishing, said to them: “‘Cast the net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.’ So they cast it, but they were not able to haul it in because of the large number of fish.” (John 21:1-6) After serving them breakfast, Jesus turned to Simon Peter and said the words of today’s text. To what was Jesus referring? Peter was quite attached to fishing. So it seems that Jesus was asking him where his true affection lay. Did he have greater affection for the fish and the fishing business than for Jesus and the things that he taught? In answer, Peter said: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” (John 21:15) Peter certainly lived up to his word. From that point forward, he proved his love for Christ by busying himself in the disciple-making work, becoming a pillar in the first-century Christian congregation.

John 21:15

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He replied to him: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Feed my lambs.”+

John 21:1-6

After this Jesus manifested himself* again to the disciples, at the Sea of Ti·be'ri·as. He made the manifestation in this way. 2 There were together Simon Peter, Thomas (who was called the Twin),+ Na·than'a·el+ from Ca'na of Gal'i·lee, the sons of Zeb'e·dee,+ and two others of his disciples. 3 Simon Peter said to them: “I am going fishing.” They said to him: “We are coming with you.” They went out and got aboard the boat, but during that night they caught nothing.+

4 However, just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the beach, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.+ 5 Then Jesus said to them: “Children, you do not have anything to eat, do you?” They answered: “No!” 6 He said to them: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” So they cast it, but they were not able to haul it in because of the large number of fish.+

John 21:15

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He replied to him: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Feed my lambs.”+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2019, 06:56:06 AM »

Tuesday, August 27

Jehovah is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?​—Heb. 13:6.

That firm confidence in Jehovah’s loving care helped Paul to grapple with life’s problems. He did not allow negative circumstances to weigh him down. What gave him the strength to do so? He kept leaning on “the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our trials.” (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) Communication through prayer is the foundation of a close relationship with God. (Ps. 86:3; 1 Thess. 5:17; Rom. 12:12) When we take sufficient time to express to Jehovah our deepest thoughts and innermost feelings, we cannot help but be drawn closer to our heavenly Father, the “Hearer of prayer.” (Ps. 65:2) In addition, when we discern that Jehovah answers our prayers, our love for him grows. We come to realize ever more that “Jehovah is near to all those calling on him.” (Ps. 145:18) That confidence in Jehovah’s loving support will help us to cope with further tests of faith.

Hebrews 13:6

So that we may be of good courage and say: “Jehovah* is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”+

2 Corinthians 1:3, 4

Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,+ the Father of tender mercies+ and the God of all comfort,+ 4 who comforts* us in all our trials*+ so that we may be able to comfort others+ in any sort of trial* with the comfort that we receive from God.+

Psalm 86:3

Show me favor, O Jehovah,+

For I call to you all day long.+

1 Thessalonians 5:17

Pray constantly.+

Romans 12:12

Rejoice in the hope. Endure under tribulation.+ Persevere in prayer.+

Psalm 65:2

O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts* will come.+

Psalm 145:18

Jehovah is near to all those calling on him,+

To all who call on him in truth.*+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »

Wednesday, August 28

Jehovah sees into the heart.​—1 Sam. 16:7.

How will you respond if the elders make a decision that you do not understand or perhaps do not agree with? Such a situation can test our faith in Jehovah and in his organizational arrangement. How will humility protect you if you face such a test? Consider two ways. First, humility will move us to acknowledge that we do not have all the facts. No matter how much we know of a situation, only Jehovah can read a person’s figurative heart. Our awareness of this undeniable truth will prompt us to be humble, to recognize our limitations, and to adjust our view of the matter. Second, humility will help us to be submissive and patient as we wait on Jehovah to correct any true injustice. It is as the wise man wrote: “It will not turn out well for the wicked one, nor will he prolong his days.” (Eccl. 8:12, 13) Certainly, a humble response is in the best spiritual interests of all concerned.​—1 Pet. 5:5.

1 Samuel 16:7

But Jehovah said to Samuel: “Do not pay attention to his appearance and how tall he is,+ for I have rejected him. For the way man sees is not the way God sees, because mere man sees what appears to the eyes, but Jehovah sees into the heart.”+

Ecclesiastes 8:12, 13

Although a sinner may do bad a hundred times and still live a long time, yet I am aware that it will turn out well for those who fear the true God, because they fear him.+ 13 But it will not turn out well for the wicked one,+ nor will he prolong his days that are like a shadow,+ because he does not fear God.

1 Peter 5:5

In the same way, you younger men, be in subjection to the older men.*+ But all of you clothe* yourselves with humility* toward one another, because God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2019, 06:15:14 AM »

Thursday, August 29

I was, in fact, kidnapped from the land of the Hebrews, and I have not done anything here for which they should put me in prison.​—Gen. 40:15.

Clearly, Joseph was the victim of injustice. He also stated that he was not guilty of the crime for which he was imprisoned. On that basis, he asked the cupbearer to mention him to Pharaoh. Why? He explained his goal: “In order to get me out of this place.” (Gen. 40:14) Were Joseph’s words those of a man who passively accepted his situation? Certainly not. He was keenly aware that he was the victim of many injustices. He clearly explained the facts to the cupbearer, who perhaps would be in a position to assist him. Note, however, that there is nothing in the Scriptures to indicate that Joseph ever told anyone​—not even Pharaoh—​that his brothers were his kidnappers. In fact, when his brothers came to Egypt and were reconciled with Joseph, Pharaoh welcomed them and invited them to make their home in Egypt and to enjoy “the best of all the land.”​—Gen. 45:16-20.

Genesis 40:15

I was, in fact, kidnapped from the land of the Hebrews,+ and I have not done anything here for which they should put me in prison.”*+

Genesis 40:14

Nevertheless, you must remember me when things go well with you. Please show me loyal love and mention me to Phar'aoh, in order to get me out of this place.

Genesis 45:16-20

The news reached the house of Phar'aoh: “Joseph’s brothers have come!” It was good in the eyes of Phar'aoh and his servants. 17 So Phar'aoh said to Joseph: “Tell your brothers, ‘Do this: Load your beasts of burden and go to the land of Ca'naan, 18 and take your father and your households and come here to me. I will give you the good things of the land of Egypt, and you will eat* the richest* part of the land.’+ 19 And you are commanded to tell them:+ ‘Do this: Take wagons+ from the land of Egypt for your children and your wives, and you must bring your father on one of them and come here.+ 20 Do not worry about your belongings,+ for the best of all the land of Egypt is yours.’”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2019, 07:06:39 AM »

Friday, August 30

O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!​—Rom. 11:33.

One reason why Jehovah is the rightful Sovereign is because he has the knowledge and wisdom needed to care for the universe. Consider, for example, the fact that God enabled his Son to heal diseases that doctors could not cure. (Matt. 4:23, 24; Mark 5:25-29) From Jehovah’s standpoint, this was no miracle. He understands the processes involved and has the ability to undo any damage. The same is true with regard to his ability to raise the dead and prevent natural disasters. The world under Satan’s influence is still searching for a way to settle national and international disputes. Jehovah alone has the wisdom to bring about world peace. (Isa. 2:3, 4; 54:13) As we learn of Jehovah’s knowledge and wisdom, we feel as did the apostle Paul, who wrote under inspiration the words of today’s text.

Romans 11:33

O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are!+

Matthew 4:23, 24

Then he went throughout the whole of Gal'i·lee,+ teaching in their synagogues+ and preaching the good news of the Kingdom and curing every sort of disease and every sort of infirmity among the people.+ 24 And the report about him spread throughout all Syria, and they brought him all those who were suffering with various diseases and torments,+ those who were demon-possessed+ and epileptic+ and paralyzed, and he cured them.

Mark 5:25-29

Now there was a woman who had had a flow of blood+ for 12 years.+ 26 She had suffered much at the hands of many physicians and had spent all her resources, and she was no better but, rather, had become worse. 27 When she heard the reports about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his outer garment,+ 28 for she kept saying: “If I touch just his outer garments, I will get well.”*+ 29 And immediately her flow of blood dried up, and she sensed in her body that she had been healed of the grievous sickness.

Isaiah 2:3, 4

And many peoples will go and say:

“Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah,

To the house of the God of Jacob.+

He will instruct us about his ways,

And we will walk in his paths.”+

For law* will go out of Zion,

And the word of Jehovah out of Jerusalem.+

4 He will render judgment among the nations

Isaiah 54:13

And all your sons* will be taught by Jehovah,+

And the peace of your sons* will be abundant.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2019, 06:13:20 AM »

Saturday, August 31

What God has yoked together, let no man put apart.​—Mark 10:9.

Many individuals in this world have a casual attitude toward marriage. When the relationship becomes strained, they just give up and walk out on their marriage mate. That, however, is not the Christian way. (1 Cor. 7:27) Breaking one’s marriage vow is equivalent to lying to God, and God hates liars! (Lev. 19:12; Prov. 6:16-19) Jehovah also hates a treacherous divorce. (Mal. 2:13-16) Jesus taught that the only Scriptural ground for dissolving a marriage vow is when an innocent mate chooses not to forgive an adulterous partner. (Matt. 19:9; Heb. 13:4) What, then, about separation? The Bible is clear on this too. (1 Cor. 7:10, 11) The Bible does not set out grounds for marital separation. However, some married Christians have viewed certain situations as a reason for separation, such as the extreme endangerment of one’s life or spirituality by an abusive or apostate spouse.

Mark 10:9

Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”+

1 Corinthians 7:27

Are you bound to a wife? Stop seeking a release.+ Are you freed from a wife? Stop seeking a wife.

Leviticus 19:12

You must not swear to a lie in my name+ and thus profane the name of your God. I am Jehovah.

Proverbs 6:16-19

There are six things that Jehovah hates;

Yes, seven things that he* detests:

17 Haughty eyes,+ a lying tongue,+ and hands that shed innocent blood,+

18 A heart plotting wicked schemes,+ and feet that run quickly to evil,

19 A false witness who lies with every breath,+

And anyone sowing contentions among brothers.+

Malachi 2:13-16

“And there is another* thing that you do, which results in covering the altar of Jehovah with tears and with weeping and sighing, so that he no longer pays attention to your gift offering or looks favorably on anything from your hand.+ 14 And you say, ‘For what reason?’ It is because Jehovah has acted as a witness between you and the wife of your youth, with whom you have dealt treacherously, although she is your partner and your wife by covenant.*+ 15 But there was one who did not do it, for he had what remained of the spirit. And what was that one seeking? The offspring* of God. So guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and do not deal treacherously with the wife of your youth. 16 For I hate* divorce,”+ says Jehovah the God of Israel, “and the one who covers his garment with violence,”* says Jehovah of armies. “And guard yourselves respecting your spirit, and you must not deal treacherously.+

Matthew 19:9

I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery.”+

Hebrews 13:4

Let marriage be honorable among all, and let the marriage bed be without defilement,+ for God will judge sexually immoral people* and adulterers.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »

Sunday, September 1

[Bring your children] up in the discipline and admonition of Jehovah.​—Eph. 6:4.

Bringing up a child in “the discipline and admonition of Jehovah” is one of the greatest privileges a Christian parent can have. (Ps. 127:3) Unlike children in the ancient nation of Israel, the children of Christian parents are not born as part of a people dedicated to Jehovah. Moreover, love for God and for truth is not inherited. From the day of their child’s birth, parents should have the intent to make a disciple, assisting their child to become a dedicated, baptized servant of Jehovah. What could be more important? After all, it is each individual’s dedication, baptism, and faithful service to God that will bring him in line for being marked for salvation during the coming great tribulation. (Matt. 24:13) May you parents experience the joy and satisfaction that result from seeing your children become dedicated, baptized servants of Jehovah.

Ephesians 6:4

And fathers, do not be irritating your children,+ but go on bringing them up in the discipline+ and admonition* of Jehovah.*+

Psalm 127:3

Look! Sons* are an inheritance from Jehovah;+

The fruit of the womb is a reward.+

Matthew 24:13

But the one who has endured to the end will be saved.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2019, 06:40:07 AM »

Monday, September 2

Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching.​—1 Tim. 4:16.

All who are authorized to give Scriptural discipline​—in the family or in the congregation—​are wise when they imitate Christ’s example. Indeed, their doing so reflects their desire to be molded by God and his Son. It would be difficult to enumerate all the blessings that result from accepting divine discipline and from imitating Jehovah and Jesus when disciplining others. At the very least, families and congregations become havens of peace. Individuals also feel truly loved, valued, and secure​—a foretaste of the blessings to come. (Ps. 72:7) Indeed, it is no exaggeration to say that Jehovah’s discipline teaches us how to live together forever in peace and harmony as a family under his fatherly care. (Isa. 11:9) When we view divine discipline in that light, we will be more likely to appreciate it for what it truly is: beautiful evidence of God’s unmatched love for us.

1 Timothy 4:16

Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching.+ Persevere in these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.+

Psalm 72:7

In his days the righteous will flourish,*+

And peace will abound+ until the moon is no more.

Isaiah 11:9

They will not cause any harm+

Or any ruin in all my holy mountain,+

Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah

As the waters cover the sea.+

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »

Tuesday, September 3

They were baptized by him in the Jordan River, openly confessing their sins.​—Matt. 3:6.

Those submitting to John’s baptism did so as evidence of their repentance over sins against the Mosaic Law. (Matt. 3:1-6) It is noteworthy, however, that the most important baptism that John performed had nothing to do with repentance. John had the unique privilege of baptizing Jesus, the perfect human Son of God. (Matt. 3:13-17) Jesus was without sin, so he did not need to repent. (1 Pet. 2:22) His baptism symbolized the presenting of himself to do God’s will. (Heb. 10:7) During the course of Jesus’ earthly ministry, his disciples also performed baptisms. (John 3:22; 4:1, 2) Like those performed by John, these baptisms symbolized the individuals’ repentance over sins against the Mosaic Law. However, after Jesus’ death and resurrection, baptism would take on a much different meaning for his followers.

Matthew 3:6

and they were baptized by him in the Jordan River,+ openly confessing their sins.

Matthew 3:1-6

In those days John+ the Baptist came preaching+ in the wilderness of Ju·de'a, 2 saying: “Repent, for the Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.”+ 3 This, in fact, is the one spoken of through Isaiah+ the prophet+ in these words: “A voice of one calling out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of Jehovah! Make his roads straight.’”+ 4 Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and had a leather belt around his waist.+ His food was locusts+ and wild honey.+ 5 Then the people of Jerusalem and all Ju·de'a and all the country around the Jordan were going out to him,+ 6 and they were baptized by him in the Jordan River,+ openly confessing their sins.

Matthew 3:13-17

Then Jesus came from Gal'i·lee to the Jordan to John, in order to be baptized by him.+ 14 But the latter tried to prevent him, saying: “I am the one who needs to be baptized by you, and are you coming to me?” 15 Jesus replied to him: “Let it be this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” Then he quit preventing him. 16 After being baptized, Jesus immediately came up from the water; and look! the heavens were opened up,+ and he saw God’s spirit

1 Peter 2:22

He committed no sin,+ nor was deception found in his mouth.+

Hebrews 10:7

Then I said: ‘Look! I have come (in the scroll* it is written about me) to do your will, O God.’”+

John 3:22

After this Jesus and his disciples went into the Ju·de'an countryside, and there he spent some time with them and was baptizing.+

John 4:1, 2

When the Lord became aware that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing+ more disciples than John— 2 although Jesus himself did no baptizing but his disciples did—

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2019, 07:11:15 AM »

Wednesday, September 4

The spiritual man examines all things.​—1 Cor. 2:15.

What does it mean to be a “spiritual man”? A spiritual person is inclined toward God, the opposite of the physical person. Spiritually-minded individuals strive to “become imitators of God.” (Eph. 5:1) This means that they make an effort to have Jehovah’s thinking on matters and to look at things from his point of view. God is very real to them. In contrast with fleshly-minded individuals, they try to bring all their ways into harmony with Jehovah’s standards. (Ps. 119:33; 143:10) Rather than focus on fleshly works, the spiritually-minded person endeavors to show “the fruitage of the spirit.” (Gal. 5:22, 23) To clarify the expression “spiritually-minded” further, think of this comparison: An individual who is skillful in commercial affairs is said to be business-minded. Similarly, someone who keenly values spiritual or religious interests is called spiritually-minded.

1 Corinthians 2:15

However, the spiritual man examines all things,+ but he himself is not examined by any man.

Ephesians 5:1)

Therefore, become imitators of God,+ as beloved children,

Psalm 119:33

Teach me, O Jehovah,+ the way of your regulations,

And I will follow it to the end.+

Psalm 143:10

Teach me to do your will,+

For you are my God.

Your spirit is good;

May it lead me on level ground.*

Galatians 5:22, 23

On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience,* kindness, goodness,+ faith, 23 mildness, self-control.+ Against such things there is no law.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 06:48:07 AM »

Thursday, September 5

O Daniel, you very precious man.?—Dan. 10:11.

Daniel lived as a captive in Babylon, a city filled with idolatry and spiritism. Moreover, the Babylonians looked down on the Jews, mocking both them and their God, Jehovah. (Ps. 137:1, 3) How this must have hurt faithful Jews like Daniel! Food and drink soon became an issue because Daniel did not want to “defile himself with the king’s delicacies.” (Dan. 1:5-8, 14-17) A more subtle challenge for Daniel could have involved his exceptional abilities, which led to his receiving special privileges. (Dan. 1:19, 20) But instead of becoming arrogant and opinionated, he remained humble and modest, always giving due credit to Jehovah. (Dan. 2:30) In fact, it was while Daniel was still a young man that Jehovah counted him worthy of being mentioned as an example of righteousness, along with Noah and Job. (Ezek. 14:14) Was God’s confidence in Daniel misplaced? Not at all! Daniel stayed faithful and obedient to the very end of his life.

Daniel 10:11

Then he said to me:

“O Daniel, you very precious* man,+ give attention to the words that I am about to speak to you. Now stand up in your place, for I have been sent to you.”

When he said this to me, I stood up, trembling.

Psalm 137:1

By the rivers of Babylon,+ there we sat.

We wept when we remembered Zion.+

Daniel 1:5-8

Furthermore, the king assigned to them a daily ration from the king’s delicacies and from the wine he drank. They were to be trained* for three years, and at the end of that time they were to enter the king’s service.

6 Now among them were some from the tribe* of Judah: Daniel,*+ Han·a·ni'ah,* Mish'a·el,* and Az·a·ri'ah.*+ 7 And the principal court official assigned names* to them; he gave to Daniel the name Bel·te·shaz'zar,+ to Han·a·ni'ah the name Sha'drach, to Mish'a·el the name Me'shach, and to Az·a·ri'ah the name A·bed'ne·go.+

8 But Daniel resolved in his heart that he would not defile himself with the king’s delicacies or with the wine he drank. So he asked the principal court official for permission not to defile himself in this way.

Daniel 1:14-17

So he agreed to their proposal and tested them for ten days. 15 At the end of ten days their appearance was better and healthier* than all the youths* who were eating the king’s delicacies. 16 So the guardian would take away their delicacies and their wine and give them vegetables. 17 And the true God gave these four youths* knowledge and insight into every kind of writing and wisdom; and Daniel was given understanding in all sorts of visions and dreams.+

Daniel 1:19, 20

When the king spoke with them, no one in the entire group was found to be like Daniel, Han·a·ni'ah, Mish'a·el, and Az·a·ri'ah;+ and they continued to serve before the king. 20 In every matter requiring wisdom and understanding that the king would ask them about, he found them ten times better than all the magic-practicing priests and the conjurers+ in his entire realm.

Daniel 2:30

As for me, this secret was not revealed to me because I have greater wisdom than anyone living; rather, it was to make the interpretation known to the king so that you may know the thoughts in your heart.+

Ezekiel 14:14

“‘Even if these three men—Noah,+ Daniel,+ and Job+—were within it, they would be able to save only themselves* because of their righteousness,’+ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah.”

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2019, 07:40:09 AM »

Friday, September 6

Levi spread a big reception feast for [Jesus] in his house.​—Luke 5:29.

Jesus displayed a perfectly balanced view of pleasures. He attended “a marriage feast” and “a big reception feast.” (John 2:1-10) At the wedding, he miraculously changed water into wine, adding to the supply, which had run short. Yet, Jesus did not immerse himself in a life of pleasure. He put Jehovah first and expended himself tirelessly in behalf of others. So that many might live, he willingly endured a painful death on a stake. Addressing those who would follow in his footsteps, Jesus said: “Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens.” (Matt. 5:11, 12) If we truly love God, we will be careful to avoid not only the things we know will displease him but also the things we merely suspect may displease him.​—Matt. 22:37, 38.

Luke 5:29

Then Le'vi spread a big reception feast for him in his house, and there was a large crowd of tax collectors and others who were dining with them.+

John 2:1-10

And on the third day a marriage feast took place in Ca'na+ of Gal'i·lee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the marriage feast.

3 When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him: “They have no wine.” 4 But Jesus said to her: “Woman, why is that of concern to me and to you? My hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to those serving: “Do whatever he tells you.” 6 Now there were six stone water jars sitting there as required by the purification rules of the Jews,+ each able to hold two or three liquid measures. 7 Jesus said to them: “Fill the jars with water.” So they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he said to them: “Now draw some out and take it to the director of the feast.” So they took it. 9 When the director of the feast tasted the water that had now been turned into wine, not knowing where it came from (although the servants who had drawn out the water knew), the director of the feast called the bridegroom 10 and said to him: “Everyone else puts out the fine wine first, and when people are intoxicated, the inferior. You have saved the fine wine until now.”

Matthew 5:11, 12

“Happy are you when people reproach* you+ and persecute you+ and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake.+ 12 Rejoice and be overjoyed,+ since your reward+ is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.+

Matthew 22:37, 38

He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’+ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment.