STUMPBURNER

collapse

* Welcome Guest's

welcome
"As a Guest, you are limited to what you can view."
Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" Click the "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Spiders: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Great Depression Recipes  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Cheryl Heiers

• Dreamer
  • Blessings
    • Leflore Horse and Livestock
Great Depression Recipes
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
This website has some recipes from the great depression.  Someone long ago don't if they are still here, asked for the recipe of poop on a Shingle that missed from his military days.  This website has the recipe he wanted.  I don't remember seeing dried meat in any stores locallly but maybe someone else knows where you can get it.

http://imperfectlyhappy.com/great-depression-meals/?utm_content=buffere1f07&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Online beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Great Depression Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »

Web site not there   groan

thanks Guest for reading my post

Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one

Offline Cheryl Heiers

• Dreamer
  • Blessings
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
I am sorry.  I can't correct the problem.  I saved the site on Facebook it won't allow me to go to that page again.  I searched for it and it does the same thing.  You try Great Depression Meals, Imperfectly Happy. 

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • Retro Gamer!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:38 AM »
The link works for me. Thanks!

I've been eating all of those things except for the last (but have eaten a lot of similar things) since I was a kid, although I was born in '61. My grandfather, who is 90 now, taught us about those things since he grew up in The Depression. I still love poop on the shingles but it has too much salt. Since I've been diagnosed with high blood pressure I can't eat it as much. So, now I eat sausage gravy and biscuits instead which has a lot less sodium and a similar taste. Here's a basic recipe for it (if I didn't post it here already, LOL):

http://www.bobevans.com/recipe/3/sausage-gravy - But if you google "sausage gravy and biscuits" you'll find a lot of various versions.

A lot of the stores here sell dried beef jarred or plastic wrapped. You may be able to get it from a local butcher, if one is close by.

I haven't eaten hocks and beans in awhile but LOVE hocks and collards or any greens slow cooked for a few hours!

Hotdogs used to be so cheap we used them in everything. Chopped and sauteed mixed in scrambled eggs, soups, stews, etc. Sometimes, I still eat my eggs that way. LOL Mmmm, fried hotdogs with cheese on toast was always, and still is a fav, of mine! ;) I just can't eat them as much now. :(

Online beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »

It is working for me now. It brings back some loving feeling

thanks Guest for reading my post

Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one

Offline Cheryl Heiers

• Dreamer
  • Blessings
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »
http://imperfectlyhappy.com/great-depression-meals/ It came back on Facebook.  It worked for me again.

Copyright © STUMPBURNER