collapse

* Welcome Guest's

welcome
"As a Guest, you are limited to what you can view."
Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" Click the "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

* User Info

 
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Spiders: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0
  • Dot Users Online:
  • user Baidu

* Theme Select



Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Chocolate is NOT for pets  (Read 1024 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dolly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Karma: +3/-0
  • Burning Stumps!
Chocolate is NOT for pets
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
Chocolate is toxic to dogs/cats and probably for other pets too; and it can kill them!

Here's the facts:

Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound in the same family as caffeine, and theophylline (an
asthma drug). In certain quantities, theobromine is toxic to dogs. In general, the minimum toxic
theobromine dose in dogs ranges from 46 to 68 mg/lb. Half the dogs that consume 114 to 228 mg/lb
or greater of theobromine will die. Lots of things can play a role in whether your dog will have a
toxic reaction including the amount of chocolate your dog ate, your dogs size, and whether your
dog happens to be extra-sensitive to theobromine. One of the most important things in chocolate
toxicity is the kind of chocolate your dog ate.

For instance:
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz. (704 mg theobromine/lb milk chocolate)
Semisweet chocolate chips contains 150mg/oz. (2400 mg theobromine/lb semisweet chocolate)
Baking chocolate contains 390mg/oz. (6240 mg theobromine/lb baking chocolate)

Do the math:
For example, Hyperactive Harley the Boston Terrier is eyeing the ears and tail from a chocolate
Easter bunny. How much would he have eat to get a 46 mg/lb dose of theobromine? Well, hed
have to eat:
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight of semisweet chocolate bunny,
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight of milk chocolate bunny, or
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight of baking chocolate bunny.

Signs of chocolate toxicity:
Theobromine toxicity can cause a variety of signs ranging from mild to severe. Signs include:
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Rapid heart rate
Restlessness
Hyperactivity
Urinating more
Muscle spasms
Seizures

Read more:

http://www.fda.gov/d...y/UCM149124.pdf

Offline Dolly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Karma: +3/-0
  • Burning Stumps!
Re: Chocolate is NOT for pets
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
There are other poisonous things that can be deadly for your pet also i.e. Poinsettia plants, Lilies and grapes......

Offline beast

  • Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • *
  • Posts: 4644
  • Karma: +37/-5
  • Gender: Male
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: Chocolate is NOT for pets
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:57:37 AM »
Code: [Select]
Signs of chocolate toxicity:
Theobromine toxicity can cause a variety of signs ranging from mild to severe. Signs include:
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Rapid heart rate
Restlessness
Hyperactivity
Urinating more
Muscle spasms
Seizures

I think I get those same things  Beard

 0029
thanks Guest for reading my post




Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one