collapse

* Welcome Guest's

welcome
"As a Guest, you are limited to what you can view."
Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" Click the "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Spiders: 1
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0
  • Dot Users Online:
  • user Baidu

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: The meaning of WYSIWYG  (Read 2232 times)

Amy

The meaning of WYSIWYG
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
What does WYSIWYG mean?

The somehow cryptic abbreviation WYSIWYG stands for “What You See Is What You Get”. In such editors you edit not directly the source code of your documents, but its presentation as it (hopefully) will appear in the final document. So instead of writing blocks of code manually (as you e.g. would do it in Word or Latex), you manipulate with design components using an editor window.

This means that you view something very similar to the end result while the document or image is being created.
Notice: this post reviews only desktop-based WYSIWYG-editors which run on Windows, Linux or Mac.

It doesn’t provide an overview of JavaScript-based WYSIWIG-editors — you can find an extensive overview of JavaScript-based WYISWYG Web Editors in the post Through The Web WYSIWIG Web Editors — The List or WYSIWIG Editors Test.

When it comes to coding editors, it’s damn hard to a get a clear overview of all the benefits and functionalities different editors have to offer. However, in the end everybody needs one, so it’s important to know which editor is best tailored to your personal needs.
WYSIWYG-editors are often criticized by real coding ninjas for bloated, dirty and not standards-complaint source code they’ve been producing over the last years.

However, WYSIWYG-editors have become much better recently. Some of them even produce valid and elegant code.
Sometimes you need to provide your clients with some simple tools to edit or update their web-sites. And this is where the utility of WYSIWYG-editors comes in. As a web-professional you need to provide your clients with some sophisticated advice and offer a simple yet effective tool — e.g. a WYSIWYG-editor.

We believe that it would be wrong to recommend you some “best” editors, because the choice always depends on your requirements, primary goals, skills and experience. Therefore in this article we’ve tried to give you an overview of both useful and deprecated WYSIWYG-editors.

Hopefully, you’ll find some editors you’ve never heard about before. Or maybe you’ll find some features you miss in your current editor and risk to experiment with some promising alternatives to improve your workflow. Besides, you can learn what editors you could use and what tools you shouldn’t use.

(I still don't understand...... 0029).....but that is ok.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
Re: The meaning of WYSIWYG
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »

Using diff code diff ways to build things ????  :don't know

thanks Guest for reading my post

Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one

Offline MC73

• Visiting Mod
  • Lost Beyond Repair
    • Cuyler Games
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

Using diff code diff ways to build things ????  :don't know

Not really ... for example:

If you copy and paste something from another site it may have Bold letters, Slanted, Colors etc ....
 The WYSIWYG is supposed to past it just as it sees it on the other site. Then pastes it to your site to the point that you wont have to preview your post to see what it really looks like. Instead of seeing html and bbc codes such as [/size] [pt=12] , you will see it as "What You See Is What You Get" WYSIWYG.

If you dont like it or it is getting on your nerves .... you can turn it off on an individual basis via going :

Go to your Profile / Look and Layout and un-check the WYSWYG editor. Then save.

manstoryjob

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »

I like it very much. I feel it is very useful to the reader. I'm reading a lot of new knowledge.

Offline beast

• Administrator
  • 4,000 Post
  • So What!
    • stumpburner
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »

I have run into that before. MC73 I went ahead and did that. I'm going to try it out for awhile and see how it goes.  :shakehands

thanks Guest for reading my post

Don't have one, Don't want one, Not gona get one

Offline MC73

• Visiting Mod
  • Lost Beyond Repair
    • Cuyler Games
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
As a admin, WYSIWYG was my worst enemy, so i turned it off by default . I prefer using codes, but that is my preference.

Offline Skhilled

• Administrator
  • Retro Gamer!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »
Hey MC73, how's it going?

Offline MC73

• Visiting Mod
  • Lost Beyond Repair
    • Cuyler Games
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
Doing pretty good, thanks ...... Glad to see some familiar names still here.